Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Bloody Ape

Director - Keith J. Crocker (Blitzkrieg: Escape from Stalag 69)
Starring - Paul Richichi (One Grave too Many), Salvatore Finkel, and Arlene Hansen
Release Date - 1997
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - " Teenage Girls Raped By A Gorilla!"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I love when I get a horror flick and they go away from traditional killers, kills, and story lines.  I love it even more when these films don't take themselves seriously and add a little (or a lot) of humor. I actually prefer my horror with blood, guts, and humor.  That is why I don't really care for the sudden burst of extreme horror flicks.  Most extreme horror films tend to just shove pointless blood and guts at the film along with despicable sexual acts without giving the viewer any real story.  However, most horror comedies deliver some great stories while giving us some decent laughs and scares.  That brings me to my newest review for the Wild Eye Releasing flick The Bloody Ape.  This was a new one to me but if Wild Eye sends me something to review I have damn good reason to greet it with excitement. 
     The film follows a carnival barker, Lampini (Richichi), who is down on his luck.  His act is no longer bringing in the crowds that it used to. Sadly, his life turns from bad to worse when his blonde bombshell dumps his ass and on top of it all he accidentally let his killer ape out off the cage.  This foul beast is deadly...and horny.  The beast starts killing and raping (in no order) all over town. 




      I love when a no budget horror flick takes lack of funding and turns it into something funny and entertaining.  A film usually fails when it takes itself too seriously and lacks the money needed to pull off the serious tone.  That is why I love silly and goofy horror flicks.   The Bloody Ape was a film that was new to me when Wild Eye sent it to me.  The artwork made the film look serious and sleazy which is something I tend to avoid but when I threw it in I was surprised to see this one was an oddball horror flick. Director Crocker knew he couldn't make a big blockbuster so he set out to make a fun film that people could just sit back and have a good laugh at.  Sadly, I can see the appeal this film might have but it just didn't make me laugh even though I really wanted to.  The acting in this one is intentionally bad which makes it almost pointless to judge.  Each cast member takes their role and has fun with it.  Some characters are so easy to fall in love and can make you laugh while others make you so fucking angry you wanna kick your dog.  So in a sense, the acting is great and gives the characters depth.  The story is a rehashing of every low budget comedy with the classic Edgar Allen Poe tale Murders in the Rue Morgue.  The story is one that has been told before in different ways but none this sleazy.  Finally, the film does have some special effects but they are not that great.  However, some are rather shocking and fun.  Overall, The Bloody Ape is a sleazy low budget flick that is odd and raunchy but not for everyone.  Check it out, it deserves at least one view.   







No comments:

Post a Comment