Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I Heart U





I HEART U
Writer: Devin O'Leary
Director: Billy Garberina
Availability: DVD Available at www.alternativecinema.com

Rating:



    So, I've been battling a nasty bit of depression this month, so I apologize in advance for not being more productive lately.  I'm getting back on track, though, and I figure what better film to cover than this nasty bit of black comedy.  Billy Garberina is a funny fucking dude.  I first became aware of him through the film he co-directed with the always great Richard Griffin, Necroville.  I had a blast with the movie, and Garberina was definitely the highlight of the film.  A little later on, after finally digging into the works of Chris Seaver, I started to see him pop up there as well.  It was like he belonged in that demented universe, and it was then I realized that this man is just a wonderfully gifted performer.

    Recently, I discovered he started directing a few solo projects.  Thanks to the folks over at Alternative Cinema, his latest opus I Heart U arrived at my doorstep.  I've wanted to see this movie ever since I first became aware of it.  I'm happy to say the movie did not disappoint.  Billy plays Walter Fletcher, a mild mannered man stuck in a dead end marriage with Liz Fletcher, played by the always fetching Raine Brown.  How does one have a dead end marriage with someone as beautiful as Raine Brown, I'll never know, but that's a discussion for another time.

    As a way of coping with his marriage, Billy starts finding solace in murder.  It feels good, and it becomes a sort of release for him.  Little does he know that Liz is also a cold-blooded killer herself.  The two start competing with one another, upping the body count so that they can get more coverage in the papers.  This whole time, neither one is aware of what is going on.  Their day to day lives remain just as drab and plain as ever.  I don't think it's too much of a stretch to tell you that once they discover each other, rather than being shocked, it actually becomes something for them to bond over.  

    This is a movie that I enjoyed immensely.  Devin O'Leary's script is high on wit, and never takes the easy way out, keeping the movie entire unpredictable until the final frame.  Credit must also be given to Billy and Raine.  They play their parts to perfection.  I've never seen Raine stretch her comedic muscles like this before, and I certainly hope she does it more often.  Garberina also has a strong handle on the material behind the camera.  The movie moves at a whip-fast pace, and he captures the dullness of suburban domestic life perfectly.  

    I also need to give a special mention to the kill sequences.  Even though the movie's emphasis was on humor, the actual kills were quite grisly and well done.  Sometimes movies like this find it hard to achieve this balance, but even the kill scenes had a bit of nasty humor in them.  I should also point out, though I'm sure it's no secret, that the movie was obviously shot on an incredibly modest budget.  So, if microbudget cinema is something that turns you off, well what the fuck is wrong with you?  I live for this type of cinema.  It's not perfect, but goddamn it, it has heart.  Sometimes that's all that matters.

    Once again, I would like to thank Alternative Cinema for the opportunity to review this movie.  I've seen a lot of people compare it to the likes of Natural Born Killers and the like.  I'd say it's more of a domestic bliss version of American Psycho.  However you approach it, you're sure to have a good time with it.  It's funny, it's nasty, and you get to see Raine Brown in all her loveliness.  Okay, Billy Garberina's not so bad either.  I'm definitely interested in seeing the other films Billy has directed, and will be looking forward to more in the future.  Bravo.

    Until next time, my fellow freaks and weirdos...

No comments:

Post a Comment