Thursday, August 8, 2013

21st Century Serial Killer


aka Killing Me

Director - Henry Weintraub (Melvin)
Starring - Patrick O'Driscoll (Melvin), Joe Von Appen (The Black Sea), and Sonya Davis (Broken Paradise)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror/Drama/Comedy
Tagline - "Dare to dream big"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     Chemical Burns Entertainment and Reality Films are a company that are some how tied together under one parent company.  I have never took the time to trace their connection but I am glad they work together.  For a few months now they have been sending me films to review.  Some of the films are great while others are bad but that is to be expected when dealing with a company that has as many films in their catalog as they do. Anyway, I received this film with The Legend of the Goatman and American Sasquatch Hunters.  I put it up with my other movies and honestly I forgot about it.  When I first got the screener I looked it up online and was under the impression it was a another killer clown flick in the same style as Sloppy the Psychotic (which is also released by Chemical Burn).  So I put it up and forgot about it until now.
     The film follows a young man who has fantasized of being recognized as a serial killer among the likes of Ed Gein, John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Bundy. However, he is chicken shit and could never do it.  One day he imitated Ted Bundy and fakes a broke leg to catch a woman off guard and instead of killing her he marries the young girl.  Once married he thinks he has left his homicidal urge behind, however, things change as bodies start to pile up around town.  He has studied serial killers his whole life and is able to use those skills to track the killer down to only discover it is his new floor manager.  He asks him to mentor him in the ways of being a killer but after many failed attempts to kill the young man just can't do it.  His mentor is fed up with trying to teach him and reveals that he had been setting him up the entire time to take the fall for his murders.  The young man does indeed get arrested and pleads guilty to the murders finally getting his wish of becoming a famous serial killer.
     This film really surprised me.  I know I have said that before but I truly do get surprised by so many films.  Mainly because I base judgement off the artwork and the film itself throws me for a loop.  That is exactly what happened here.  I thought the film was a killer clown flick and I was way off.  In fact, the main character is only dressed as a clown for a small portion of the film and nothing noteworthy took place while he was dressed as one.  I don't understand why the artwork shows him as a clown instead of him as something more meaning to the film.  Also, my biggest complaint about the film was the dubbing.  The tone of their voices does not match the scene and makes most scenes feel over-acted.  The acting is very well done and an amazing performance by the lead actor.  He done a great job with his character and really made him come to life.  The story is a fun and very original.  The movie, though dealing with a morbid topic, was extremely fun and often made me think I was watching a comedy made for the entire comedy.  After this film I will now pursue other films by this director because I think he has a true knack for making quality films after watching this one.  Finally, the film does offer some on screen kills but they are nothing that gory but they do offer a decent amount of blood.  More gory kills would have been nice but it would be out of place with the flow of the film.  Overall, this is a hilarious film about murder and deceit.  I highly recommend it.   

    


No comments:

Post a Comment