Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The G-String Horror


Director - Charles Webb
Starring - Ed Bowers, Genna Darling, and Mike Gleason (Modern Marvels)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
     About a week ago I  was jumping from horror page to horror page when I stumbled upon a random horror review blog.  I was going through the list of reviewed films when one caught my eye.  The film was The G-String Horror and those that follow my reviews know I love cheese and sleaze. So I started looking around and found the official site for the film and reached out to them.  Director Charles Webb was nice enough to send me a link to an online screener and for that I thank you Mr. Webb.  I tried for a week to take the time to watch it but working full time takes a majority of my time and added to all that me and my wife celebrated our two year anniversary so I gave her my undivided attention for a day.  So here is my review for the film!
     The film follows a documentary team as they investigate a strip club for paranormal phenomenon.  A drug dealing janitor had a heart attack and died and a stripper named Baby Doll was killed in the basement and their spirits haunt the titty club.  However, this is all fictitious events as the film crew is attempting to create a faux documentary.  Unfortunately, their fictitious ghosts have became real and are now preying on the owner, the film crew, and a psychic medium. 
     I hate giving negative reviews especially if it is for a film that I done the initial contact for.  Nothing makes me feel like an ass than asking a director if I can review their film and then post an unsatisfactory review.  However, I have to be honest with myself and the reader. The film would have been highly effective if it was a lot shorter.  The film just seemed to drag on a little too long and the interviews were extremely bland.  The acting is hard to judge due to the film being set up in a documentary format.  However, the last few minutes of the film showed the cast actually acting and during that time they all did a great job in their roles.  As for the story, I fucking loved it.  The meshing of found footage and documentary while willingly acknowledging it was a faux documentary was pretty damn clever and original.  I also like the fact that the films fake ghosts turned real.  That was another great addition to the film.  Finally, the special effects are hit and miss.  The practical effects looked great and the spirits, especially Baby Doll, look fan-fucking-tastic.  This film shows how effective great practical effects can be.  Now as for the visual effects.  They suck.  I hated the whole specter "boom" that would occur randomly as someone was being interviewed.  It ruined a good portion of the film.  I also hated the shaky camera work whenever something would disappear.  I can think of many other ways to make that effect more effective than making the viewer sea-sick.  Overall, fans of blood and sleaze will love this one.  However, I found a good portion of it to be painstakingly slow paced and hard to watch.  It is worth at least one watch!
  





No comments:

Post a Comment