Wednesday, August 21, 2013

HazMat


Director - Lou Simon (The Awakened)
Starring - Norbert Velez (Wall of Shame), Todd Bruno (The Denied), and Aniela McGuinness (Rock of Ages)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "It's all fun and games until someone loses a head"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):
      A few weeks ago I went to the Fright Night Film Fest in Kentucky and found a slew of indie horror films I have never heard of.  Some of which looked amazing while a few just looked awful. I mentioned Bloodsucka Jones was one of the few that stood out to me, however, there was another one entitled HazMat.  While I was waiting in line for the vendors to open so I could score a few DVDs a young lady brought me a few flyers.  The films on the flyers were HazMat, The Awakened, and Blackout.  All three films looked awesome and everyone knows I am a sucker for cover art.  I reached out to the HazMat site and requested a screener and they were nice enough to send me one so thank you very much for that.
      The film follows a popular television show called Scary Antics as they prepare for their newest episode.  This episode has a guy that will be scaring his friend at an abandoned building.  The building was once a chemical testing facility that caught fire killing over 130 people that was trapped inside.  The guy's friend has been acting different lately and he is hoping that this experience will scare him back to normal. 
Once inside their plan to scare him unfolds as a man in a hazmat suit stalks them and pretends to kill them.  Things change when the man finds his own hazmat suit and kills the pretend killer before turning his sights on the tv show crew and his former friends.
     I have noticed a lot lately that films will craft great looking cover art and posters to compensate for shitty films.  However, this is not the case.  This movie was just as good as I was hoping it was.  It does have faults but I can not think a movie that is perfect.  The acting is great by the entire cast.  The look and feel I got from the film when it first started watching it made me think it was a SyFy film so I assumed the acting was going to be horrible.  However, I was wrong and the entire cast did a superb job.  The story is once again a modern adaptation of the original slasher formula.  Someone was wronged and that person kills those responsible.  However, the story was able to write in a modern reality television twist which really helped tie that in to a modern audience.  Finally, the film delivers a some great slasher-esque kills.  In fact, these are some of the best kills I have seen in a slasher that has been released in recent years.  The special effects only adds to their potency.  Overall, this is a great slasher that will not disappoint.  I highly recommend it. 

    


No comments:

Post a Comment