Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Housewife Slasher


Director - Christopher Leto (Theatre of the Deranged II)
Starring - Andrea Alfonso (Snap), Autumn Boisvert (Rough Cut), and Erin Cline (Joe Vampire)
Release Date - 2012
Genre - Horror/Drama
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5): 
     Director Christopher Leto is no stranger to my reviews.  Recently I reviewed the indie anthology Theatre of the Deranged II.  Leto directed the segment My Aunt is Coming to Town.  I liked the segment.  It was weaker than the others (with the exception of the God awful Tag) but was still extremely fun and imaginative.  Recently Leto reached out to the Horror Society Facebook page requesting someone to review his newest flick Housewife Slasher.  My love of writing reviews and watching slashers made me jump at the opportunity.  So thank you Chris for sending me the online screener!
     The film follows a group of suburban housewives who gather every morning to brag about their most recent adulterous sexual conquests with pool boys and other various younger men. Their husbands are away most of the time providing them with the perfect opportunity to sleep around.  A killer is working his way through the housewives one by one killing them for breaking their wedding vows.  Two detectives are hot on the case trying to discover who the real killer is before all the housewives meet a bloody end.
     This movie was not what I was expecting.  When I read the title for the first time the word slasher stood out to me.  I assumed this was your typical run of the mill slasher but I was wrong.  I completely ignored the word "housewife" in the title.  After the first kill the film switches gears and starts to feel like a drama made especially for housewives.  My wife is an avid fan of Pretty Little Liars and that is what this movie reminded me of.  This movie should be aimed towards that demographic instead of the horror fan because this did not look and feel like a horror movie to me.  The acting is actually great.  The entire cast did a great job bringing their characters to life.  I was also a little shocked by how hot the ladies in this film are.  No words can describe how hot they are.  The story is the same told in almost all slasher films but displayed in what feels like a drama.  This film could easily be turned into a prime time television series catering to those who like mystery thrillers.  Finally, you do get a fair bit of kills on screen but the deaths are really nothing to marvel at.  They are your stock slasher kills with hardly any special effects applied to them.  Overall, this is a pretty weak horror film but with more thought and a little editing this could make a solid daytime drama.  I wouldn't recommend this one if you want a real slasher. 



No comments:

Post a Comment