Monday, April 26, 2021

Castle Freak




Director - Tate Steinsiek (Guts, The Terrible Tale of Jaquelyn Torne)
Starring - Clair Catherine (Trust, The Preppie Connection), Kika Magalhaes (The Eyes of My Mother, Vamp Bikers), and Jake Horowitz (The American Werewolves, The Vast of Night)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "A bold reimaging of a horror classic"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was getting into horror I was visiting the video store a few times a week to rent movies.  It was at my local video store that I was introduced to Full Moon.  I don't remember which movies was my first Full Moon movie but I remember over the years renting a good portion of the Puppet Master series, Lurking Fear, and a bunch more along with a good portion of their Empire and Moonbeam releases.  I had rented their 1995 film Castle Freak several times and sometime ago I was lucky enough to review the blu release of the film from Full Moon.  I really enjoy this one but when I heard that it was getting a remake I was confused.  Out of all the films to get a remake why was this one?  A rather obscure Full Moon release getting a remake was a bit weird.  Regardless, I was for it and sometime back I snagged a copy of it on blu for a reasonable price.  A few nights ago I decided to have a movie marathon and gave this one a shot.  I enjoyed it for the most part.
     The film follows a young woman and her boyfriend obsessed with partying who visit an old castle after inheriting it when her mother killed herself.  She was adopted and assumed her mother was poor but now realized that her mother gave her up for adoption to save her when her friends discover the Necronomicon explaining how her, and her disfigured twin, will bring about the old ones.
     The original Castle Freak is atmospheric and moody with a chilling story and an amazing cast.  This remake ups the anty by diving deeper in the Lovecraftian lore resulting in a richer story but lacking in a few other areas.  With that being said, I enjoyed it once I gave it a shot.  The acting in this one is solid.  Catherine is brilliant as the beautiful blind orphan finding out about her strange family.  On the other side of the table is her boyfriend played by Hororwitz who delivers one hell of a performance.  His character is meant to be hated and god damn does he make you hate him.  Much like Comb's performance in the original, his character is a selfish degenerate that is always looking out for himself and no one else.  The supporting cast is great as well but they don't touch these two.  The story for this one dives deeper in to the mythology that Lovecraft created while still staying somewhat true to the original adaptation.  We get the destructive relationship between the young couple, a broader story revolving around the castle and the disfigured freak living within the castle walls, and we end with the possibility of a follow up that's even bigger.  Honestly, I liked the story but it did take me sometime to warm up to it.  I blame the characters but once the movie gets going I enjoyed it.  Finally, the film has some bloody moments with some fitting kills.  The practical effects work and a few of the gags throughout the film really surprised me.  I would have liked more gore but the creature effects made up for it.  Overall, Castle Freak is not the original film.  It gives us a different story with similiar features.  It's fun but it does take some time to appreciate it.  I recommend it and suggest you go into it open minded.  

No comments:

Post a Comment