Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Unwelcome




Director - Keith R. Robinson (Sniper Corpse, Silverhide)
Starring - Michael Cicchilo, Sinead Bannister, and Lea Garner 
Release Date - 2010
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "A terrifying investigation into a poltergeist"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Several weeks ago I went through various social media platforms looking for indie horror news to post on the site.  I met a lot of amazing filmmakers, producers, and so forth looking to get the word out on their project.  This was when I met the folks over at Other Dimension Films.  This London based production company has been making movies for 11 years now and was kind enough to send two of their films over for review.  The first film, Sniper Corpse, was surprisingly fun.  After I finished that film I was ready to check out their 2010 paranormal film The Unwelcome.  I want to thank Keith and company for being kind enough to send these all the way over for me to review.
     The film follows two paranormal investigators who take on a case of a young women that seems to be suffering from a poltergeist haunting.  However, the two investigators suspect that something else may be at play when they notice that things only happen when she is upset or inconvienced.
     Sniper Corpse was a campy horror drama with a simple story that worked for a late night horror watch.  This made me look forward to spinning The Unwelcome.  I was really looking forward to it but the movie just wasn't for me.  It was way too long for the story we got and a lot of the tension and atmosphere was wasted with dialogue and drawn out scenes that did very little for the story.  I wanted to like it but I would be lying if I said I did.  The acting in this one is solid enough,  The cast is fairly small for the most part and the cast works very well together.  There is a few awkward scenes that were a little unintentionally funny but nothing that really stands out.  I was shocked to see that this cast had no experience prior to this film.  They did a solid job and didn't let their inexperience ruin their performances.  The story for this one was a fun beginning but the movie struggles to really find it's footing and then just ends.  The movie didn't need to be as long as it was and the dialogue in some of the scenes doesn't really fit the film that well.  A lot could be cut while keeping the integrity of the film.  Finally, the film has some bloody moments as it comes to a close but those of you looking for buckets of blood and gore will be very disappointed.  Overall, The Unwelcome reminded me a lot of the movies Brian Damage was releasing in the early 2000s.  I appreciate those kind of films because they were what I was watching when I first became obsessed with the genre but I couldn't like them all.  Just like The Unwelcome wasn't for me.  It was slow, dry, and unnecessarily long.  Fans of paranormal films should check it out but I can't recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment