Saturday, April 24, 2021

Yummy




Director - Lars Damoiseaux (Chopper, Patient Zero)
Starring - Maaike Neuville (Perfect Darkness, Red Light), Bart Hollanders (Callboys, Salamander), and Benjamin Ramon (Cannibal, Team Spirit)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Facelifts, boob jobs, and zombies"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     I've been really impressed by Shudder's streaming service and their line of exclusives and originals.  Sure, a few left me feeling underwhelmed but a majority of them have been absolutely amazing.  Several months ago I received the press release for the release of the horror comedy Yummy which was another Shudder exclusive.  This 2019 film looked fun but I wasn't able to review it upon it's release but had since snagged a copy of it for cheap from Amazon.  I've been sitting on the blu for a few weeks now and decided that it was time to finally check it out.  I'm not going to lie, I was really excited to finally check it out.
     The film follows a young woman and her boyfriend who are visiting a clinic so she can have breast reduction surgery.  However, the boyfriend finds himself wondering in an area he should not be and accidentally frees a young woman infected with something that has turned her into a flesh eating monster.  Slowly the hospital becomes infected forcing the young couple to team up with other survivors in order to make it through the chaos to survive.  
     I was expecting a pretty solid zombie flick but I was not expecting a zombie comedy to make me laugh like this one did.  In fact, I haven't laughed this hard at a zombie flick since Shaun of the Dead.  I was not expecting this kind of film but within just a few moments I was in love.  This is the most entertaining zombie flick I've seen in awhile. The acting in this one is solid.  The characters don't stand out like most other horror comedies.  In fact, the character are fairly flat but the cast does the best with what they were given.  It's not really the characters personalities that makes the film.  It's the situation that the viewer enjoys.  Regardless, this was no easy acting job for the cast and they all do a wonderful job.  The story for this one is extremely fun.  Zombies are extremely oversaturated at this time thanks to The Walking Dead and most deliver the same ol' boring story where there is internal drama among the survivors and the humans are the real monster.  Yummy gives us some of that but puts the humor to the front of the film along with the zombies.  Humanity showing it's monstrous side results in more comedic moments in the film.  I could really spin this one as a double feature with movies like Shaun of the Night or Night of the Creeps.  The humor found it's mark and the pacing is perfect.  With that being said, I wish the film had written in some more memorable characters that make horror comedies so much more fun.  Finally, all the best zombie flicks have brilliant death scenes and this one is no different.  We get some fun gory moments with some great practical effects.  Most of us horror veterans have seen this all before but Yummy does a great job with the kills and practical effects.  Overall, Yummy was not what I was expecting and it fucking rules.  I absolutely loved this goofy horror comedy and highly recommend it to other genre fans.  Snag a copy or check it out on Shudder.  You will not be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment