Monday, April 19, 2021

Jungle Trap




Director - James Bryan (Hell Riders, Don't Go in the Woods)
Starring - Renee Harmon (Lady Street Fighter, Frozen Scream), Frank Neuhaus (Night of Terror, Run Coyote Run), and Heidi Ahn (Out All Night, Cousin Skeeter)
Release Date - 1990/2016
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     Several years ago, before I was into the American Genre Film Archive blu releases, I found the Bleeding Skull website.  I appreciated their love of obscure and odd films and checked out some of thier reviews and write ups.  I also noticed that at one time they released a movie or two.  The one that really caught my eye was Jungle Trap from director James Bryan.  Bryan is a filmmaker that has had several films on my chopping block from Vinegar Syndrome.  Sadly, they were no longer making copies of this release.  Fast forward a few years and AGFA and Bleeding Skull has once again teamed up for a blu release and this time it was a Bryan double feature with Jungle Trap and Run Coyote Run.  I quickly snagged a copy and as soon as I could I tossed in Jungle Trap.  
     The film follows a team of explorers who venture deep in the jungle to a hotel that was once the site of a tribe war between the hotel staff and a local tribe.  Things start out innocently enough but soon turn strange when members of their party go missing and then the hotel staff disappears.  Thats when the survivors learn that the hotel staff were ghosts and the tribe will be attacking them as soon as the sun sets.
     Jungle Trap is the unfinished 1990 film from James Bryan and Renee Harmon.  The film went unfinished for sometime before Bleeding Skull would find it, finish it, and release it.  It's a far out there story and film with an even more entertaining backstory but the overall film is a dud.  I wanted to like this one but I couldn't bring myself to it.  The acting in this one had me laughing my ass off.  This is the kind of acting that you love to see when you are downing cheap beer with cheaper friends at Cinema Wasteland.  The cast overreacts through most of the scenes and their dialogue delivery is absolutely atrocious.  Bryan is capable of creating some fun genre efforts but he was very disconnected with the cast on this one.  The story for this one is a wild idea with a very interesting plot but the execution is rough.  I know it took the film a couple decades to be completed but the production value and lack of direction really makes this one a tough one to finish.  I love a good bad movie but this one lacks the good.  With that being said, a haunted jungle hotel with an angry tribe really is a good premise for a horror flick.  We just need the execution.  Finally,  the film has a cheap decapitation gag that I really enjoyed and a few cheap gags here and there but for the most part it's rather dry.  No blood or chaos that I was expecting considering the story.  Overall, Jungle Trap was not what I was expecting.  I know it took a long time to be completed but it's a tough one to finish.  I've seen some bad movies in my life and this is among them.  Collectors will want to snag it but don't expect something enjoyable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment