Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly




Director - Mitsuo Murayama (Special Investigation Unit, Medal from the Devil)
Starring - Ryuji Shinagawa (The Last True Yakuza, Ghost Music of Shamisen), Yoshiro Kitahara (Kamen Rider, Gamera: The Giant Monster), and Junko Kano (Typhoon Reporter, Black Test Car)
Release Date - 1957
Genre - Horror/Crime
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When Arrow Video sent over their Invisible Man Appears blu I had no idea that it was actually a double feature.  I was really fucking excited to see the first film but when I tossed it in the player I was surprised to see a second film on the set.  I did a quick look and discovered that the second film, The Invisible Man vs. The Human Fly, was a sequel in spirit only but it really peaked my interest.
     The film follows a police force as they attempt to hunt down a serial killer that seems to be hunting down people that served in the army sometime ago.  The police uncover a sceientist is able to shrink humans.  In order to combat this they turn one of their own invisible to fight the fly menace.
     I went into this one a little more excited than I was the first one.  A film following mad scientists, a serial killer, and the Invisible Man...what could go wrong?   Well, a lot actually.  The characters are not that likable, the story is not as wild as it sounds, and the pacing is all wrong.  The acting in this one is not bad.  The cast really tries to get into their roles but the characters, regardless of who they are, are just not likable.  It's not the cast's fault but I just didn't care for the characters.  The story for this one has so much potential especially for a mid-50s sci-fi flick.  It has a lot of elements that I could really enjoy but the way everything is put together is very underwhelming.  I love the mad scientist approach to the film but the scenes, dialogue, and pacing of the film is absolutely all wrong.  I found myself waiting for the film to end than I was actually wanting to watch the film.  Finally, the film has some of those classic invisible man moments that make the other films so much fun along with some other cheesy visual effects of the time.  However, if you are looking for blood and gore you will be very disappointed.  Overall, The Invisible Man vs The Human Fly was a huge disappointment.  It doesn't have the same charm as the first film and the story is an absolute mess.  

No comments:

Post a Comment