Saturday, April 24, 2021

Morgue




Director - Hugo Cardozo 
Starring - Pablo Martinez, Francisco Ayala, and Maria del Mar Fernandez
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Death is not the end"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I spent the previous day catching a wave of nostalgia as I watched and reviewed the two documentaries The Orange Years: The Nickelodeon Story and Happy Happy Joy Joy: The Ren and Stimpy Story.  Both were fantastic documentaries that I highly recommend.  However, after watching both of those titles I was in the mood for something horror related.  I took a look at the stack of movies I needed to review when Morgue caught my eye.  This is one I recently received from Well Go USA for review and it looked extremely interesting.  I want to thank Well Go USA for sending this one over for me to check out!
     The film follows Diego who is down on his luck and struggling financially.  One night his girlfriend entices him to come over for sex and on his way over to see her he accidentally hits a pedestrian with his car.  He returns home in a panic and goes to bed before getting a call to work as a security guard at the local morgue.  When he arrives for his shift he discovers the body of the man he had killed with his car on the slab and his night only gets stranger from there.
     I was really curious about this one.  The title and artwork really set the mood for the film which is rare for a modern horror tale but once I got into this one I was very underwhelmed.  The movie was extremely dull and predictable.  The "twists" and story were not that fun and I found myself struggling to even finish it.  I hate writing a negative review for a movie sent to me but I refuse to lie.  The acting in this one is pretty decent.  It's pretty much a one man show following Diego through his supernatural journey.  His performance is pretty solid with no overacting. He's great in role and they did a great job casting him.  The supporting cast is great as well.  Their characters are not as developed as Diego's but they deliver solid performances.  The story for this one is interesting in theory but there is just not enough substance to run an entire length of a feature film.  The movie reminded me a lot of a movie I reviewed sometime back title La Casa which was a found footage flick with a similar story.  I liked the idea but the movie could have been a more effective short instead stretching out unnecessary scenes.  Finally, the film has some blood but if you are looking for bloody and gory moments you will be very disappointed.  The film relies heavily on suspense and atmosphere to convey the horror aspect to the viewer.  There is some moments where we have a little blood but nothing that will stick with the viewer.  Overall, Morgue was extremely underwhelming.  I liked the premise but it was just stretched too thin for the running time.  This is one I was not a fan of but you should also consider that reviews are just my opinion.  If this sounds like something that would interest you then you should check it out because I'm a nobody.  

No comments:

Post a Comment