Thursday, April 15, 2021

Sniper Corpse




Director - Keith R. Robinson (The Unwelcome, Silverhide)
Starring - Howy Bratherton (The Reformation, Manhunt: Kill or Be Killed), Tony Eccles (Bloody Tales of the Tower, Ghostgirl), and Gareth Gower (The Unwelcome)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Lethal, trained killers... but no one told them they were dead"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I, somehow, found myself in the middle of a British horror marathon without meaning to.  It was a pretty fun experience especially when it wasn't planned.  I recently watched the 1987 slasher Goodnight God Bless from Culture Shock before moving on the crime thriller Concrete PlansConcrete Plans was the better of the two but both had room for improvements.  I kept moving on with the next film in my British horror-thon with the 2019 action horror film Sniper Corpse.  Sometime ago I began posting on social media about indie horror news when I met the fine folks over at Other Dimension Films who was kind enough to send this one my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows a military widow who is trying to find the body of her deceased husband that went missing.  Her search lands her near a testing facility where she finds the reanimated corpse of a soldier that is killing other reanimated soldiers that were part of a failed experiment.  The corpse begins to remember who he was before he died and soon wants to end the government-ran program that created him while helping her find the body of her husband.
     I was intrigued by Sniper Corpse.  The title alone made my imagination run wild.  I imagined an undead soldier on a mission sniping.  That's not the case.  The film is still fun if you give it a chance but I can see some genre fans will be quick to turn this one off which is a shame.  It's not an amazing movie but I did enjoy it.  The acting in this one is surprisingly well done.  The entire cast, zombies included, to a fantastic job with their roles.  The characters do have a little cheesy spin to them that reminded me a lot of the early 2000 Sy-Fy channel originals but I really enjoyed it.  It's not often that you find an indie feature with a cast all on the same level.  The story for this one is straight forward and easy to absorb without over complicating things.  The film takes a story that we've seen before but delivers it in a different angle.  There has been numerous horror films over the years where the military or government has reanimated the dead to turn them into soldiers.  It's been done with Dean Cain and many others but having this one unfold like it does makes for an entertaining experience.  Finally, the film has plenty of practical effects.  I loved the decayed look of the zombies and watching their heads explode was particularly entertaining.  The make-up effects are great and some of the visual effects are cheesy but they works with the film.  Overall, Sniper Corpse will be one that most genre fans will be quick to dismiss this one but I had some fun with it.  It's cheap fun and one that would be great with some beer and friends.    

No comments:

Post a Comment