Thursday, February 17, 2022

Children of the Damned


Director - Anton Leader (The Twilight Zone, Star Trek)
Starring - Ian Hendry (Theater of Blood, Damien: Omen II), Alan Badel (The Agatha Christie Hour, The Medusa Touch), and Barbara Ferris (The Strauss Family, The Human Jungle)
Release Date - 1964
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Beware the eyes that paralyze!!!"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I grew up spending a lot of time with my grandmother.  When I was little my mom abandoned me and her step-mom stepped in to help raise my little sister and myself while my dad was out of town for work.  This was a little while after I was almost adopted but that's a story for a different time.  My grandmother lived on the original incarnation of the Sci-Fi Channel.  The nights I would be with her I would snag some tapes from the local video store and if nothing sparked our interests on Sci-Fi we would toss one in.  I can't remember if it was airing on television or it was something that I had rented but it was during one of these many nights at her home that I watched the Children of the Damned.  I remember enjoying it and years later when I found a copy of it on DVD I didn't hesitate to snag a copy.  When Warner Bros. announced the release of the film on blu several weeks back I thought this was a great time to revisit it and get that wave of nostalgia flooding back.  I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows six exceptional young children who have the ability to speak with one another telepathically and other worldly powers.  Some scientists discover this connection and want to further explore their possibilities but their respective ambassadors want to return them back to their homeland to further their own causes.  However, once news breaks about how exceptional they really are they are immediately deemed a threat to national security forcing the military to act.
     Children of the Damned is scarier in theory that it is in execution.  Don't get me wrong.  I think this is a highly effective horror film from the early 60s that has atmosphere, tension, and an amazing location but is not as terrifying as it could be.  I know I often say that about films from this era but the movie definitely doesn't reach it's potential.  The acting in this one is great.  Most child actors from this time often deliver awkward and stiff performances.  However, the young cast made the film very eerie.  They are cold, chilling, and fit the film so fucking well.  The adult cast is great as well but these children really made this movie what it is.  The story for this one is works but leaves a lot on the table in my opinion.  Children with the power of these six could create so much more carnage and chaos than they do but the film paints them are misunderstood while the adults are the monsters.  That's a cool concept that they went with but it's not a chilling of a horror film than a film where kids are mercilessly killing adults who are unable to fight back.  I know it sounds like Children of the Corn and other films but could you imagine a film with that story set again the sets and atmosphere this one delivers.  Such a missed opportunity.  The movie, as it is, is still entertaining and one I could recommend to genre fans but I can't stop thinking about the "what if" aspect.  Finally, there is some deaths but don't expect to see amazing special effects and ton of blood.  I did like the contacts and the camera tricks they used to make them work but that's the extent for that.  Overall, Children of the Damned is a gorgeous horror film with a solid story, great cast, and amazing sets.  I loved the locations used.  I know it sounds like I'm bitching about the movie but I still enjoy it.  I highly recommend it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment