Monday, February 21, 2022

Eye of the Devil


Director - J. Lee Thompson (Death Wish 4: The Crackdown, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud)
Starring - David Niven (Old Dracula, The Pink Panther), Sharon Tate (The Fearless Vampire Killers, Valley of the Dolls), and Deborah Kerr (Night of the Iguana, The Grass is Greener)
Release Date - 1966
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "This is the climax in mind-chilling terror!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     When I watch a horror title from the 60s it's usually the more campier films that you would typically find as a double feature at the local drive-in.  The 60s, much like any decade, have a lot of cheesy horror films but just as many, if not more, series horror titles.  When I was first discovering horror I remember hearing the stories about Sharon Tate, the Manson Family, and Tate's husband Roman Polanski.  The Fearless Vampire Killers is a horror comedy that I seriously enjoy but that is the only contact I've had with Tate.  When Warner Bros. sent over the press release for their release of Eye of the Devil on blu I was extremely excited to check it out.  I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a review copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows mother Catherine (Kerr) who follows her husband back to his ancestral castle from their home in Paris when their vineyard fails to produce.  When she is able to track down her husband with their son she finds that he is acting strange and unusual.  The longer she is with him the more strange he becomes and before long she uncovers a pagan ritual that his family has been doing when they suffer through a dry season that involved sacrificing children.  It's a race against the clock as the whole village works against her to sacrifice her son.
     I didn't know anything about this one when I first heard about it.  I knew it was a horror movie with Sharon Tate but my knowledge did not extend beyond that.  Once the movie began I knew I was going to like it.  A gothic tale centered around paganism and human sacrifice was not what I was expecting but I was greatly appreciative of it.  The acting in this one is great.  Niven and Kerr are absolutely fantastic together.  Their on screen chemistry is great and the characters they bring to life really do connect at the beginning of the film and slowly start to clash as the story progresses.  The legendary Donald Pleasance has a small role in this one and he delivers like always.  I wish his character had a bigger role in the film because I really enjoyed what Pleasance delivered.  The supporting cast is solid as well but I found myself very disappointed by how little screen time Tate had while being plastered on the marketing for this one.  The story for this one works but like many older horror titles it lacks some imagination.  My mind can't help but wonder how much further this story could have drifted.  I loved the paganism, the surroundings, and how well the characters were written.  Honestly, I would love to see this one remade in a more modern setting.  The story is ripe for the picking.  Finally, don't expect a bloody horror tale.  It's got some amazing locations, gorgeous wardrobe, and the tension is damn near perfect but those of you with a taste for blood will be very disappointed.  Overall, Eye of the Devil is a fantastic example of horror from the mid-60s.  It's atmospheric, beautifully acted, and well put together.  The blu from Warner Bros. is a nice addition to any collection but the lack of bonus material is a bit disappointing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment