Thursday, February 3, 2022

Rififi in the City


Director - Jesus Franco (Hellhole Women, White Cannibal Queen)
Starring - Fernando Fernan Gomez (The Grandfather, The Mistress), Jean Servais (Donkey Skin, Black Jesus), and Laura Granados (The War Starts in Cuba, Shoot to Kill)
Release Date - 1963
Genre - Crime/Drama
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


      When I started this Franco Noir double feature I was on the fence.  Honestly, I was hesitant on these films because I rarely like a Franco film that's not a horror or sexploitation film so I had little hope in these films.  I tried to keep an open mind but after twenty minutes or so in Death Whistles the Blues I knew this was going to be a tough 3 hours.  As I prepared for the second film in the set, Rafifi in the City, I was praying that I liked it more than I did the first film in the set.
     The film follows a small community leading up to an election when a police informant turns up dead.  Soon, members of a political party start dying one by one as well leaving many to suspect that someone from the opposing part is snuffing them out.
     Rififi in the City was one mess of a film.  I'm sure it went over my head but I found myself struggling to finish it.  What we get for a story felt rushed and poorly written while the acting felt more like a sketch comedy than an actual movie.  I really wanted to love it and I hate writing a negative review for a film sent to me but this was not for me.  The acting in this one did make me laugh a few times.  Not because they were comedic performances but because they didn't feel like real performances.  The cast stands around awkwardly facing the camera and their dialogue felt like it was just written prior to filming.  The cast is very charismatic but they have no dedication to their characters at all.  The story for this one has potential to be a political thriller but it's chaotic and difficult to follow.  I could get behind a political thriller following an ex-Nazi trying to gain a political position through murder.  However, the way this one is filmed made it difficult for me to follow.  I don't mind reading my films.  Hell, I've reviewed several hundreds of films with subtitles but this one was a serious chore to follow.  It's choppy and uneven with several scenes that feel like they are there for filler with no point toward the story.  Finally, there is a body count but the deaths are not that enjoyable.  Don't expect blood or gore.  Overall, Rififi in the City is another painful film from Franco.  I respect the man more than I care to admit but this film was not entertaining.  I'm an idiot so it's probably because I didn't get it but I'm not a fan.   

No comments:

Post a Comment