Sunday, February 6, 2022

Underneath: An Anthology of Terror

Director(s) - Andre Becker, Cory Ivanchuk, John Nicol (Channel Zero, Glimpse)
Starring - Brent Baird (Secret Santa, Exorcism of the Dead), Nicholas Koy Santillo (The Waddling Dead, Murder in Amish Country), and Andrew Baptiste (See No Evil, Bloodslinger)
Release Date - 2022
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Evil in chapters"
Format - Vimeo (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):




      The pandemic has put a huge strain on so many aspects of our every day life ranging from the way we work, shop, relax, and our hobbies.  As a cinema fan I often rely on new releases as a way to relax and unwind after a day at my muggle job.  The pandemic put a huge strain on new film productions especially indie productions so when a new movie is sent my way now to review I immediately jump on it.  A few weeks ago I was contacted to review the horror anthology Underneath: An Anthology of Terror.  The artwork and trailer looked a lot of fun so I agreed to it.  Time did get away from me but after a second email to check it out I made time for it.  It was a lot of fun and I'm glad I was given the opportunity to see it.  Thanks for reaching out guys!
     The film is split up into chapters. Each chapter tells a different story with them all being held together with a wraparound segment.  The segments feature various stories ranging from a television that is broadcasting the memories of a serial killer, a man who is convinced that his basement is a gateway to hell, and and a man that can transform into a flesh eating beast.
      Underneath is a film that has a lot going for it but the only thing holding it back is itself.  The film has a great cast, spectacular effects, and solid story ideas but the segments struggle with actually giving the stories they chose the justice they deserve.  The acting in this one is very well done.  The cast doesn't have a tremendous amount of experience but what they do have serves them well.  I enjoyed the cast and the characters they portrayed.  The film would have been a huge failure if it wasn't for the cast and the lengths they go for their performances.  The film uses a series of chapters with a wraparound segment to hold them all together nicely.  Honestly, I really enjoyed the idea behind each segment but a good bit of them feel as if they are missing a good chunk of the story.  I'm a huge fan of indie anthologies and I may hold them to a higher standard than other indie films but these stories had so much potential and each one fell flat.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed them as they are but they really did leave a lot of meat on the bone.  Finally, the film is beautifully shot and is overflowing with bloody and gruesome deaths that will satisfy the most rabid of gorehounds.  You can pause the film at any given time and the frame will look art and the effects used in the deaths scenes are spectacular.  It's not often you find an indie production with such great effects and fun kills.  Sure, they are not that inventive but they are fun.  Overall, Underneath: An Anthology of Terror was a bloody anthology that scratches any itch you may have for a late night horror anthology viewing.  The stories really need expanded upon but it's still a must see film as it is.  I highly recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment