Sunday, February 13, 2022

Monster SeaFood Wars


Director - Minoru Kawasaki (Earth Defense Widow, Planet Prince)
Starring - Yuya Asato (Magical Girl Site, Blood-Club Dolls 1), Ayano Yoshida Christie, and Hide Fukumoto (Earth Defense Widow, The Monster X Strikes Back: Attack the G8 Summit)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Comedy/Sci-Fi
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     It's not everyday that you are given the opportunity to review a comedic kaiju film.  When that opportunity does arise you can bet your sweet ass and half a tit that I'm going to take it.  Sometime back SRS Cinema announced the limited run of the 2020 sci-fi comedy Monster SeaFood Wars on blu.  I missed this release but when I saw that the film was getting a standard DVD release I knew I had to see it.  I reached out to MVD, who was handling the DVD release, and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  I couldn't wait to see what this one had in store for me.  Thanks again guys!
     The film follows a young man who is taking several pieces of seafood back to his place of work when he is stopped by a friend.  While talking he drops his bike and the food sneaks out and into the river.   Later, a giant crab, squid, and octopus attacks Tokyo forcing them to create a new department, the Seafood Monster Attack Squad in a last ditch effort to same the city from these sea titans.
      I wasn't expecting a lot from Monster SeaFood Wars when I tossed it in.  I knew it was going to be cheap but I love indie movies with fun stories and some laughs.  Sadly, the film has a good sense of humor but struggles to pull it's story together.  The acting in this one is fun.  The characters all stood out and delivered some comedic performances for the most part.  A lot of the film is based on the characters and their interactions with one another is what makes up 90 percent of the film.  The movie wouldn't be nowhere near as entertaining as it is if the cast didn't deliver.  The story for this one is a comedic take on the classic kaiju stories that a lot of us grew up with.  However, the movie is mostly character interactions with dialogue heavy scenes before we get into the monster mayhem that many of us are looking for.  I had hopes that the film would give us more kaiju mayhem than most of the other indie kaiju films seem to skip on.  The extensive scenes with little to no action makes this one difficult to watch.  I loved the idea behind it but the fact that I have to watch the characters talk about what needs done instead of doing it makes for a dull film.  Finally, the film has some seriously impressive rubber suits.  I loved the look of the kaijus and the box buildings were fantastic.  Fans of classic kaiju will appreciate this.  Also, I loved the sets and scenery used in .the film as well.  It works perfectly with the story and the backdrop of the film.  Overall, Monster SeaFood Wars is a very middle of the road sci-fi comedy with kaijus as the supporting cast.  Sadly, they are mentioned more than they are seen which is not as fun as it could be.  I wanted to love it but I couldn't.  It was decent for a first time watch but don't expect to find something that you will love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment