Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Possession


Director - Andrzej Zulawski (The Devil, Theatre Macabre)
Starring - Isabelle Adjani (Nosferatu the Vampyre, The Last Horror Film), Sam Neill (In the Mouth of Madness, Jurassic Park), and Margit Carstensen Satan's Brew, Fear of Fear)
Release Date - 1981
Genre - Horror/Romance
Tagline - "Is it desire? or violation? Devotion? or bondage? You hidden fears will be aroused"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     There is hundreds of movies that have a fantastically large followings.  Some of them I believe deserve the praise they receive but others look dull or boring with something with shock value tossed in to get that certain crowd of horror hipsters to fall in love with it.  I've seen horror fans gush over Andrzej Zulawski's Possession for years but the artwork and trailer did not look like something I would enjoy.  The only thing that made me interested in the film was that it starred Sam Neill.  I know Criterion released the film previously and horror fans went rabid over the release.  I couldn't justify spending the Criterion prices on a film I had never seen before.  A few weeks ago Umbrella Entertainment announced that they would be releasing the film on blu as part of their Beyond Genres line.  Umbrella is a company that I actually like so I was curious about the release.  I reached out to them and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows business man Mark (Neill) who learns that his wife is no longer interested in being in a relationship with him and has moved on.  He is heartbroken and becomes obsessive with her resulting in him turning his back on his job and devoting his time to getting her back.  They have a son who is stuck in the middle of the horrible situation and just wants his parents to be there like they were before.  Over time Mark is able to move passed his wife and finds a new lover but is still concerned for her safety.  He contacts a private investigator and soon discovers that there is something dark and sinister lurking inside his ex-wife.
      I went into this one with an open mind but I quickly found myself not having fun.  The film was dull and lacking which I hate to say.  The movie had an interesting story that could have worked but it was stretched too thin for it's own good.  If some of the fat was trimmed from the overall film it would have been far more enjoyable but as it is it's a difficult one to finish.  I can see the appeal during certain parts of the film but the overall movie was painfully dull.  The acting in this one is flat in some scenes and exceptionally well done in others.  I really like Sam Neill especially in films from this era in his career but there is times where he is one dimensional and at other moments he is super intense.  During these scenes he does not disappoint.  The remainder of the cast is solid and, much like Neill, they have great scenes and not so great scenes. The story for this one has so much potential.  It could have been one hell of a dark and twisted film that was more of a metaphor of love and obsession at heart but a sadistic sexually depraved film.  Instead, it's mostly a dark drama during most of the film with some twisted elements scattered throughout the last leg of the running time.  The more interesting parts, which I'm trying to refrain from spoiling it too bad, involved the abduction and sexually ravished men but these scenes are quickly pushed through.  They are not fully explored and the viewers are left to use their imagination instead of being shown.  Honestly, I liked the idea but the finished product misses it's mark with me.  Finally, the film doesn't have a high body count but there is several scenes with some seriously impressive practical effects and prosthetics.  These few scenes are a little too fast for my taste.  I really wanted the scene to slow down so we could fully enjoy it.  They are truly an impressive moment in the film and one of the few redeeming qualities I could find.  Overall, Possession just didn't do it for me.  The cast is enjoyable and the story had some entertaining moments but it really missed it's mark.  It could have been something truly dark and unsettling but most of the film flows like a romantic drama with thriller elements before the film takes the horror twist we were looking for.  I'm not knocking you for liking it.  In fact, I wish I could but I don't.  Fans will want to check out this Umbrella release but if you are looking for something new to watch then I would suggest some other Umbrella release.  

No comments:

Post a Comment