Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Death Whispers the Blues


Director - Jesus Franco (Night of Open Sex, Emmanuelle Exposed)
Starring - Condrado San Martin (The Awful Dr. Orlof, The Black Duke), Danik Patisson (Madame D, Sinners of Paris), and Perla Cristal (Condemned to Hell, The Black Pearl)
Release Date - 1964
Genre - Crime/Drama
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     Jess Franco and myself have had a complicated history.  Some of his films I've really enjoyed while others were extremely difficult for me to finish.  I can vouch for his sexploitation flicks.  It seems like most of those that he has helmed have been fairly enjoyable but his other efforts are not really my cup of tea.  A few weeks ago Severin Films announced the release of Franco Noir.  This double feature included Death Whispers the Blues and Rififi in the City.  I decided to spin the first film which was originally released as La Muerte Silba un Blues.  I want to thank Severin and MVD for sending this one over.
     The film follows a two-timing gangster who sells out his two friends.  One of them dies at the hand of the police while the other is arrested.  Some time goes by and the other is released from prison with vengeance on his mind.
     Jess Franco was a very talented filmmaker but a good portion of the films he made were not for me.  In fact, I've probably seen more films of his that I didn't like than films I did.  Death Whispers the Blues is another one on the list of Franco films that was over my headed.  It was a difficult one for me to follow and the dialogue heavy scenes and awkward acting made it hard for me to finish it.  I know Franco is a fantastic filmmaker but I struggle to like his films outside of the horror and sexploitation releases.  The acting is not that enjoyable in my opinion.  The cast is very charismatic and natural in front of the camera but their dialogue doesn't feel natural.  It's forced and when you consider how dialogue heavy the film is you will find yourself very underwhelmed.  The story for this one has all the makings of a solid crime drama but the basic story is stretched far too thin.  A man turning on his cohorts is a solid set up for a gangster drama but that is pretty much the entire premise for this one.  It's stretched far too thin and the dialogue heavy scenes are dull and hardly do anything to move the story along.  A lot could be trimmed down from this one.  Finally, there is a few dead bodies but there is no blood or gore.  The deaths are gun related with no effects so those of you looking for memorable death scenes will be very disappointed.  Overall, Death Whispers the Blues is a solid premise but the film itself is too drawn out and dull.  Fans of Franco may still want to check it out but if you are looking for something new to watch this is one I can not recommend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment