Friday, February 11, 2022

Stunt Rock


Director - Brian Trenchard-Smith (The Man from Hong Kong, Night of the Demons 2)
Starring - Grant Page (Deathcheaters, Mad Dog Morgan), Monique van de Ven (Paint it Black, Wizards and Warriors), and Margaret Gerard (Out of the Body, Dawn!)
Release Date - 1978
Genre - Musical/Action
Tagline - "Death wish at 120 decibels"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):


     
     My ozploitation journey, thanks to Umbrella Entertainment, has been very entertaining for the most part.  There has been a lot of wild movies ranging from romantic comedies, to horror, and sci-fi but very few are as weird and unique as 1978's Stunt Rock.  The film is a medley of musicals, mockumentary, highlight reel, and action all wrapped together.  It's a different film for sure but one I really enjoyed.  This one was recently released by Umbrella as part of their Ozploitation Classics line and they were kind enough to send a copy my way for review.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows Australian stunt legend Grant Page who travels the U.S. to help a fantasy inspired band grow their stage show to include magic tricks and explosions.  While helping the band the film showcases some of his wildest and memorable stunts and a bevy of interviews from those that know and work with him.
     I had no idea what this movie was going to be about but the poster and tagline sold me on it.  The movie what not what I was expecting but I really enjoyed it.  It doesn't have much of a replay value but it's fantastic for a first time watch.  The cast consists of the band members of the U.S. band Sorcery, Page, and several others that has worked with him in other films and projects.  They don't really have characters and the film doesn't really have in depth interviews with people so it's really hard to judge this aspect of the film.  I will say that it did open me up to the band and I know have some of their songs on my iTunes so that was a plus.  The story for this one pretty much just follows inserts of Page working with Sorcery, Page performing stunts, and Sorcery performing on stage.  It doesn't really deliver much more aside from that.  However, I will say that I would have loved this even more if it was about Sorcery instead of Page.  I know how much he has contributed to film and Australian cinema but Sorcery was the real star of the show here.  Finally, the film doesn't have any blood and gore for those of you interested.  Instead, we get some cool as stunts and some concert footage from Sorcery.  It's an odd film but really enjoyable.  Overall, Stunt Rock was not what I was expecting when this one showed up for review but I would be lying if I said I didn't like it.  It was a lot of fun and I walked away with a new band to enjoy.  I highly recommend snagging this release from Umbrella Entertainment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment