Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Brimstone






Starring - Peter Horton (Children of the Corn) and John Glover (Smallville)
Release Date - 1998
Genre - Horror/Crime/Drama

Rating (our of 5):



     This is one of the many television shows that go unnoticed by me because I spend most of my time watching movies instead of tv.  A friend of mine told me about it when I was still in college.  We were on the discussion of horror television shows and he told me about Brimstone.  He told me it was Law and Order mixed with Supernatural.  After watching this show I say that is a fair statement.  Anyway, this show is not available on dvd and I was lucky enough that my friend had vhs copies and was nice enough to make copies of it for myself.

     It will be very hard to explain each episode so I will just give you the general plot summary.  The story follows a former detective that had died and went to hell.  His wife was raped and like most men wish they could, he kills the rapist before dying.  However, Satan has a problem.  100 of his worst souls have escaped and he needs his detective skills to bring them back to hell.  In return the detective will get his life back.  Also, Satan has engraved 100 symbols representing the 100 souls that need to be returned to hell on his flesh.  Each one returned is a symbol removed.  Lastly, the only way to kill them and send them back to hill is to puncture both their eyes (Demon Knights style).
     This show was surprisingly entertaining.  I honestly wished it lasted another season to see where it would have taken him.  The acting is great and John Glover's portrayal of Satan is amazing.  Its a shame he did not go on to do more films or television shows.  He truly is a great actor.  But anyway, back to Brimstone.  The episodes do follow that kind of Law and Order format with a series of murders or rapes being investigated by the police and the detective has to solve the crimes first so he can send the soul back to hell.  The show almost skips on the horror until the soul is found then it adds that supernatural twist with each soul having a unique supernatural ability.  This show is highly addictive and should be watched.  If you can find it online to stream or download you need to because you won't regret it. 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment