Monday, October 15, 2012

Curse of the Cannibal Confederates

aka Curse of the Screaming Dead

Director - Tony Malanowski (Night of Horror)
Starring - Steve Sandkuhler (Nightbeast), Christopher Gummer (Nightbeast), and Rebecca Bach (Night of Horror)
Release Date - 1982
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "The south shall  rise again...and again...and again" and "It took over 100 years...but Johnny finally got even"

Rating (out of 5):


     Well I finally done it.  I sat down and watched Curse of the Cannibal Confederates.  Having three day off I was able to watch a lot of movies I have been wanting to see.  Most of these are dvds and blurays I have purchased over the passed couple of months and haven't had time to watch just yet.  This one was one of the first on my list.  I put this in and I was sitting like I did when I was little and rented Super Mario Brothers on vhs for the first time.  I had waited years to see this zombie flick and for some reason chose other films to watch before this one.  I should have waited longer.
     The movie follows three couples as they head out on a camping trip in the woods.  Along the way they decide to go to an unfamiliar area to set up camp as a fresh change of pace.  Near the spot they had picked out to camp is an old cemetery and and an even older building that has vegetation growing over it.  After looking around they find an old bullet, a confederate flag, and a leather bound journal.  From looking around they figure out that the cemetery is full of confederate soldiers from the American Civil War.  The clepto of the crew takes the journal and heads back to camp.  While everyone, but his blind girlfriend, is asleep he breaks it out and starts reading it.  Meanwhile, the undead rebels begin crawling out of their grave.  The young couples are then on the run as flesh craving confederates chase them through the woods where one by one they fall prey to the undead soldiers.
     I was extremely let down by this flick.  For the most part I couldn't see a damn thing going on.  The lighting is the worst I have seen in any movie.  Also, this is the dvd format so I couldn't imagine trying to watch this on vhs like it was originally intended for.  The story was cool but was poorly executed...which I expected would be.  The effects are some of the worst I have ever seen.  The zombies are either grey skinned but fully intact (which I guess they look good for their age) while others are wearing these huge rubber masks.  The only zombie that looked somewhat decent is the albino general zombie.  The acting is, however, very well done.  This is the only decent aspect of the film.  Most of the cast had worked on films prior to this and went on to be involved in other projects as well.  Another cool thing about the film is a few of the tombstones had some familiar names on it.  I don't know if that was intentional or just coincidence.  The two I was able to read had Tonny Starke and John Carpenter engraved on it.  Tonny Starke, written as Tony Stark, in the comics is the man who dons the metal suit as Iron Man and John Carpenter is the obvious director behind Halloween.  Being the huge zombie fan I am I really wanted to like this movie but it just completely missed.  I do not recommend this one but with all the movies getting remade I do hope someone gets their hands on this one and turns out a decent flick with this storyline.            
    


No comments:

Post a Comment