Monday, October 15, 2012

Seedpeople



Director - Peter Manoogian (Demonic Toys)
Starring - Sam Hennings (Supernatural), Andrea Roth (The Collector), and Dane Witherspoon (Asteroid)
Release Date - 1992
Genre - Horror/Sci-Fi
Tagline - "The root of all evil"

Rating (out of 5):

     I love Full Moon Entertainment as I mentioned before in a previous post.  I love, even more, when I buy a set of movies that just happens to have a few random Full Moon movies I didn't know existed in it.  That is how I got Seedpeople.  I found a set of four discs containing 20 movies and five of those just happened to be Full Moon flicks.  I also got Evil Bong 3: The Wrath of Bong, Lurking Fear, Head of the Family, and Sideshow in that same set.  All those plus 15 others for 5 dollars.  Couldn't pass that up.  Anyway, I had never heard of this film, the others I had, but this one escaped me.  I watched a trailer for it online and had to watch it.  So after viewing Curse of the Cannibal Confederates I needed to watch something that didn't suck and for the most part Full Moon never lets you down.
     This film follows a geologist who is returning to the town he is originally from to search for meteorites with some locals.  The area is known as Comet Valley which I can only assume got its name from a series of comets passing overhead of crashing to Earth.  Anyway, the geologist returns to town and old feelings start to surface between him and his old flame while he is staying at her bed and breakfast.  The owner of the b&b does not want to repeat her past and refuses to cave in to the geologist.  The b&b owner is also raising her niece who has a strange obsession with the housekeeper and insists that she is possessed.  While the geologist is in town the man who is going to help him hunt meteorites with is out in a field and comes across a strange plant.  When he pokes it with a stick it shoots a white, sticky fluid (don't laugh) on him and he is completely submerged it in.  A few moments later a giant plant like creature busts out of the white cocoon.  Slowly one by one the townspeople is implanted with intergalactic seeds and turned into seedpeople.  The geologist then has a run in with a drunk doctor (don't know if he actually a doctor or not) that is wearing a suit made of UV lights.  The doctor discovered that the seedpeople do not like UV lights.  They then set out to prevent the creatures from taking over the world by unearthing a giant seed-cone that had crash landed on Earth hundreds of years ago.     
     I liked this movie.  Sure, it had it share of flaws like most Full Moon movies but it was thoroughly enjoyable.  The story was surprisingly rich for a straight forward flick.  The acting is what you come to expect from a Full Moon movie, which is decent at best.  The effects are awesome...for the most part.  The creatures and plants looked really good and reminded me of a classic monster movie from the 50's and 60's.  However, when the creatures would attack and maul the townspeople it looked like they had just smeared barbeque sauce all over their faces.  The only grip I truly had for this flick is all the guys looked a like.  It was like putting 100 marines side by side and had you blindly pick who looked different.  Some points in the movie if the sheriff wasn't wearing his police jacket I was confused by which character he was.  I guess all white people look the same?  I don't know.  Anyway, I actually enjoyed it and it is top notch as far as Full Moon flicks go.  Give it a shot. 
    


No comments:

Post a Comment