Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Sideshow



Director - Fred Olen Ray (Scalps)
Starring - Jamie Martz (Cloverfield), Michael Amos (Backgammon), Phil Fondacaro (Land of the Dead)
Release Date - 2000
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Step right up" and "Freak Out!"

Rating (out of 5):


     Checked this movie out while I was in high school.  A friend of mine told me about it so I headed down to the ma and pop's rental store nearby to pick it up on vhs.  Well, they didn't have it on vhs but they did, surprisingly, have it on dvd.  I really liked it then and when I was out and found that set for $5 like I had mentioned before so I had to pick it up for this movie alone and the others would be an added bonus. 

     This flick follows two couples on a double date who bicker back and forth because one of the young men has brought his wheelchair bound younger brother with them.  They decide to visit a local freak show and while there they all start to talk about the things they do not like about themselves.  One of the ladies has a slight obsession with her weight while the guy in the wheelchair obviously wants to be able to walk again.  The freak show is ran by Dr. Graves (Fondacaro) who has the ability to turn people into carnival attractions.  Dr. Graves exploits their weaknesses and promises to grant their every wish...but with dire consequences.  One by one the gang caves in to their dark desires and unknowingly become exhibits in his sideshow.
     I really enjoyed this movie.  It has a different kind of feel than any of the other Full Moon movies that I've seen.  The story reminded me of eda movie that would have been films in the 50's.  The story is the only thing that reminded me of that however.  The acting is very well done and I love Fondacaro.  He is a very underrated actor that should have more roles in horror flicks.  The effects are phenomenal and is probably the most disgusting movie I have ever seen that didn't involve torture.  It is weird to see a horror movie that is disgusting and does not involve blood and gore.  This movie proves that you don't need to have blood and gore to make a solid horror flick in today's movie world.  Don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with blood and gore, but you don't need it to make a truly entertaining and creepy horror flick.  I highly recommend this flick, not only to watch, but to own as well.     

No comments:

Post a Comment