Sunday, October 21, 2012

Teen Witch


Director - Dorian Walker (Making the Grade)
Starring - Robin Lively (The Karate Kid Part III), Dan Guathier (Sliders), and Zelda Rubinstein (Poltergeist)
Release Date - 1989
Genre - Comedy/Fantasy/Romance
Tagline - "Fall under her spell"

Rating (out of 5):

     This movie, just like The Worst Witch, does not really fit into my blog.  This one is aimed more for the female audience but when I was little I watched this every Halloween multiple times.  It has a way of pulling you in when you watch it.  If you like it or not, once you cast your eyes on the tv your hooked.  When I was looking through movies at Wal-Mart around Valentine's Day I found Teen Witch in a double pack with Heavenly Kid (a great 80's flick).  I couldn't resist not picking them up and adding them both to my collection.
     The story follows Louise (Lively), a young girl who goes about her day to day life as a high school student.  She is head over heals for another student, Brad, but he is unaware of her existence.  While heading home one evening on her bicycle she is ran off the road by Brad and his girlfriend.  After the incident she comes across the home of a gypsy psychic (Rubinstein).  Here the psychic tries to turn a dollar and asks to read her palm.  While reading her palm she realizes that Louise is actually the reincarnation of a witch she once knew.  The next day at school, while in drama class, Louise comes across an old antique necklace in the prop room and the teacher gives it to her.  The necklace enhances her powers and was worn by the previous incarnations of herself.  All she has to do is simply "wish it" and it happens...for the most part.  However, she wants more.  She wants Brad to love her and finds a spell just for that.  However, she has second thoughts and wants Brad to love her for her and not because a spell was placed on him.  After he tells her that guys love the popular girls, Louise sets out to to become popular.  This backfires on her because all the guys and girls in the school love her and adore her but her best friend, who is being neglected by her and her new found popular friends.  Oh, the troubles of high school.
     I have watched this movie numerous times in my adolescence and from a recent viewing I don't know why I watched it so many times.  Don't get me wrong, the flick is mediocre and should be viewed once or twice in your life but not one that should have been watched as many times as I have.  Maybe it was because my sister wanted to watch it and I just went along.  Either way I have watched it more than I should have.  What I liked about it is the story.  I enjoy movies about witches and anything witch related.  I also liked seeing Rubinstein in films.  She was amazing in Poltergeist and she is just as good in this one.  The entire movie is painfully 80's and I love that.  What I did not like about the movie was the horrible song and dance numbers.  They bust the mood of the film when they randomly take place.  I also did not like the random love montages between Louise and Brad.  It was extremely awkward to watch as a child and as an adult.  Overall, this movie should be watched but don't pop it in for a second or third watching unless your into to romance flicks.  Which, if your reading my blog then your probably not.         

No comments:

Post a Comment