Thursday, January 21, 2021

Chickboxer




Director - Scott P. Plummer 
Starring - Julie Suscinski, Shawna Baer (Killer Nerd, Girlfriends), and James Black (Charmed, Malcolm in the Middle)
Release Date - 1992
Genre - Action/Crime
Tagline - "Her naked fist will be in your face!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I ordered this set I did so only seeing one of the films out of the six and I didn't remember shit about the one film that I had seen.  I wanted it for my collection and because it was a very unique release.  However, I didn't have a lot of high hopes for some of the films that were included in the set.  One movie I figured I would not like was the 1992 Scott P. Plummer action flick Chickboxer.  However, I actually really enjoyed this one and would recommend it to any Tempe fan.
     The film follows a small town girl who is obsessed with the television show Chickboxer.  She takes up karate to try and become more like her idle but along the way she witnesses a crime.  The police in town is being wrongfully fired so a crime organization can come in.  With the police of no help, she takes matters into her own hands to bring them to justice.
     When I was watching this I found myself really enjoying but it didn't feel like a movie from Bookwalter.  In fact, it wasn't until I was putting together this review that I realized that this one was not directed by Bookwalter.  I did some digging to see if this was another name used by Bookwalter but it looks like it's not.  This is the only directing credit under Plummer's name which makes it even more impressive considering this was his first and only film in the director's chair.  Regardless, I really enjoyed this one.  The acting in this one is solid for the most part.  Some of the cast shows their inexperience but I found myself really impressed by Suscinski in the lead role.  She was great in the role and very natural in front of the camera.  She does a phenomenal job and carries this film very well.  The supporting cast is alright at times but there is a few scenes where they are a little underwhelming.  The story for this one pretty straight forward but it's fun.  I typically don't enjoy films with narratives but I liked the lead character so much that I didn't mind it here.  It was well done and not a buzzkill.  The inclusion of the karate and organized crime is not that original but it still delivers some fun for a first time watch.  The film is barely an hourly long so it's not a difficult one to watch and follow.  Finally, this is not a bloody flick.  The film is very story and character driven and follows the typical action stereotypes so no bloody bits for you sick fucks out there.  Overall, Chickboxer is not your typical Tempe flick but I still enjoyed it.  It's campy as fuck but it's still very fun.  The blu is not much better than DVD quality which is alright considering.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment