Saturday, January 2, 2021

She Mob




Director(s) - Maurice Levy and Harry Wuest (Heat of Madness, The Game is Set)
Starring - Marni Castle, Monique Duval (Hot Acts of Love), and Adam Clyde 
Release Date - 1968
Genre - Drama/Crime
Tagline - "Butches of the weird world"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     Most of you know that I'm a huge fan of Vinegar Syndrome and always work in their films into my reviews.  For sometime now the fine folks over at Vin Syn has been working with AGFA on several of their releases.  Over the years I've collected all the AGFA releases and when a new one is announced I jump on it just as quickly as I would a Vin Syn release.  Sometime back AGFA announced a Something Weird double feature featuring She Mob and The Girl from Pussycat.  I had seen neither of those films and went ahead and ordered it when I placed my monthly Vin Syn order.  When I got the package in it was the first release I checked out.  
     The film follows Big Shem who breaks four ladies out of prison.  She takes one on as her personal girlfriend and when the others express the need for a man she calls up Tony the gigolo.  When Tony arrives she learns that he is hooking up with a wealthy woman and decides to hold him captive for a ransom.  Things don't go so easy for her as Tony is able to escape.
     AGFA usually releases some pretty fun unknown films that are equal parts exploitation and cheese. There was only a few times where I didn't care for the movie they released.  Hell, a few of their releases have become some of my favorite movies.  She Mob looked really fun and it was.  It was sleazy, sexy, and goofy as hell but I fucking loved it.  I don't think I'll be watching it again anytime soon but it was still fun for a first time watch.  The acting in this one is far from perfect but the cast's committment to their characters is fantastic.  The cast really does give the film their all and the characters stand out greatly.  They almost reminded me of some of the earlier films of John Waters and how he always put offbeat character center stage.  The story for this one is horribly written and uneven but it's a fun watch.  The characters and their sleazy antics make this film so enjoyable but the story is very lacking.  The holding a gigolo ransom is clever and does a great set up for this crazy caper but the film falls apart from there.  It's oddly paced, poorly edited, and very lackluster in the third act.  Finally, if you are looking for blood and gore you will be very disappointed.  However, if beautiful women and foul mouthed lesbians then this one is for you.  Overall, She Mob is not for everyone.  Hell, I can only think of a few people that would enjoy this one but I fucking loved it.  Fans of late 60s exploitation and underground sleazy cinema will really enjoy what this one delivers.  The transfer is very impressive and the bonus features are a nice touch.  I highly recommend checking this one out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment