Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Doom Patrol: Season Two




Creator - Jeremy Carver (Supernatural, Being Human)
Starring - Diane Guerrero (Orange is the New Black, Jane the Virgin), Timothy Dalton (Hot Fuzz, Flash Gordon), and Abi Monterey (Broadway Kids Against Bullying)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Sci-Fi
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Early last year I reviewed both seasons of Titans along with the first season of Doom Patrol and Swamp ThingDoom Patrol quickly became my favorite show but all the other shows that were part of the DC Universe was fantastic.  Though these series do bleed into the Arrowverse they are still highly entertaining as stand alone shows.  A few months ago season two of Doom Patrol was released on HBO Max.  I wanted to set up a subscription so I could watch it but time and work got away from me and I soon forgot about it.  Fast forward and a few days ago I saw some mutual friends that review as well had mentioned that they received season two for review on blu.  I quickly rushed to my email to request a copy and was lucky enough to get one.  I couldn't wait to dig into this season.
     This season follows the Doom Patrol as they try to work through their anger with Chief who has now included his daughter Dorothy and her slew of imaginary friends.  As they all struggle with their own problems a bigger problem is brewing as Dorothy reaches womanhood which could bring about the end of the world.
     The first season of Doom Patrol is absolutely amazing.  I loved the characters, the story, and the aesthetics.  It really did become one of my favorite shows after that first season.  Season two wasn't as great as the first season but god damn was it still a lot of fun.  The acting in this season is just as amazing as the first season.  The characters are so much fun to watch and the cast really gets into them.  Some of the characters have their own way of expressing different emotions but the cast does an amazing job making the characters their own.  I would be here all day if I was to give everyone in this show the much deserved credit but I'm too lazy for that.  The story for this one really lacks that sense of dread and disaster the first season had.  The show is more focused on each member of the team as the cope and adjust to their own situations.  Along the way we have a few episodes that are not really focused on the season's story arch but they were fun and really worked.  With that being said, the series ended on a cliffhanger and with the uncertainty of film production during this pandemic I'm concerned it could be years before we get any sort of conclusion.  Finally, this season is heavily based in sci-fi so we don't get any blood and gore.  However, we get some great props, sets, and wardrobe.  I absolutely love the look and feel of this show and you really need to see it to appreciate it as well.  Overall, Season two is a must see for DC fans or someone looking for their next television show to binge.  It's funny, looks amazing, and the characters are unforgettable.  This season doesn't have the same punch as the first season but it's still amazing.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment