Thursday, January 28, 2021

Full Disclosure




Director - Michael Strode
Starring - Rebecca Turner, Alexandra Bayless, and Gregory Shelby
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Don't leave the call"
Format - Streaming

Rating (out of 5):

     Last year was one of the toughest years I've ever lived through and I know it was that way for many of us.  However, some people were able to turn that negative time into something productive.  Several filmmakers, and first time filmmakers alike, used their time to work on new films and shorts.  A few weeks ago filmmaker Michael Strode reached out to me to review his new horror short Full Disclosure.  I wasn't able to right away but I was able to finally check it out.  Thank you Michael for reaching out to me to check this one out.
     The short follows a group of friends who meet up once a week for a zoom call to drink and catch up after quarantine.  However, someone in a plague mask invades their zoom meeting.  Those that leave the call die and those that stay on the call have their darkest secrets revealed.  
     I love getting to check out new indie horror features and shorts from filmmakers that love the genre.  Even if I don't care for the film it's amazing to see what people can accomplish.  It's even more of an accomplishment when they are able to film something during a pandemic and current social distancing guidelines.  Which is why a movie like Full Disclosure was a great attempt at making a movie during these times.  I can see some genre fans enjoying this one but it was one I didn't really care for.  The acting in this one is solid and very well done.  The characters are very grounded and genuine.  The cast was mostly acting alone while filming themselves, which is a result of Covid, but they were authentic in their roles.  They did the best they could with what they were given.  The story for this one is simple, straight forward, and works very well within the "new normal."  However, it is very much inspired by the Blumhouse snoozfest Unfriended which follows a group of high school students on a video call as they are haunted and murdered by the ghost of a young girl that killed herself.  Sadly, I found both of these stories to be extremely boring and difficult to finish.  Watching people talk to each other through a video call is not my type of entertainment.  Finally, this one has a little blood but the death scenes are off camera.  The practical effects are very minimal which is a bit of a disappointment for those of us looking for some fun and memorable deaths with our horror.  Overall, Full Disclosure is not one I really cared for.  I respect any filmmaker that takes the time to make their own film and I couldn't imagine the struggle of making one now but Strode and company did it.  Personally, I didn't care for it but for those of you that enjoyed Livescream and Unfriended will really enjoy this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment