Wednesday, January 13, 2021

The Craft: Legacy




Director - Zoe Lister-Jones (Woman Up, Band Aid)
Starring - Cailee Spaeny (Pacific Rim: Uprising, Vice), Zoey Luna (Boundless, Pose), Gideon Adlon (Blockers, Girl Meets World), and Lovie Simone (Orange is the New Black, Social Distance)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Fantasy/Horror
Tagline - "Let the ritual begin"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) 

Rating (out of 5):

     Blumhouse is a company that is very hit or miss with me.  I really liked Happy Death Day and most The Purge series that I've seen but a lot of the movies I've seen from Blumhouse have really missed their mark.  The biggest disappointment from them, by far, was Halloween.  I don't know how they were able to make the worst Halloween sequel imaginable when Halloween: Resurrection is a thing. Anyway, I usually don't get too excited when I hear they have announced a new movie.  Sometime back news broke of a sequel to The Craft called The Craft: Legacy.  I was curious about this one but I didn't go out of my way to find it.  I just happend to be out at Wal-Mart getting a few things when I saw it sitting on a shelf.  I figured why not and snagged it.  I wish I wouldn't have.
     The film follows a teenage girl who is moving to a new area with her mother to live with her new boyfriend and three teenage sons.  She starts at a new school and soon finds herself befriending three young girls.  They soon form a coven and with the four of them they are able to complete magical acts but things are not all sunshine and rainbows for the group as a warlock secretly has plans for them.
     Blumhouse has a few hits under their belt but after watching Halloween I'm convinced that they are leasing older properties to make a quick dollar.  Halloween was horrible in my opinion and The Craft: Legacy was a horrible sequel that struggled to come up with their own continuation of the original.  The acting in this one is the only aspect of the film that I truly enjoyed.  I like the original film but I never really cared for the characters especially in the later scenes.  However, the four leads are way more grounded, realistic, and enjoyable here.  I absolutely adore Fairuza Balk but her character is the most annoying and forced character of the original.  We don't have that here.  The supporting cast is pretty entertaining as well and I was not expecting that role out of Mulder himself, David Duchovny.  The story for this one forgets that it's a sequel.  Instead, it almost remakes the original film.  The characters, to an extent, mirror the original four and even say some of the same iconic lines from the original.  It doesn't really give us a continuation of the original aside from the last scene of the film.  Also, the film forgets that fans of the original are going to be the first in line to see this one.  Instead, it focuses on the younger generation and "woke" culture.  It's a shitty remake and an even worse sequel.  Finally, if you want blood and gore you will be disappointed.  Hell, if you want visual effects and fun action scenes you will be disappointed as well.  Overall, The Craft: Legacy is another Blumhouse cash grab.  It says "fuck you" to the fans of the original and takes an amazing cast and puts them in one of the most boring and lackluster films I have ever seen.  Skip this one and watch the original.  

No comments:

Post a Comment