Saturday, January 30, 2021

Versus




Director - Ryuhei Kitamura (Godzilla: Final Wars, The Midnight Meat Train)
Starring - Tak Sakaguchi (Yakuza Weapon, Deadball), Hideo Sakaki (Alive, Red Blade), and Chieko Misaka (Midnight Ghost Story, Suicide Club)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Horror/Crime
Tagline - "Beware the past.  Fight the present.  FEAR THE FUTURE"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was in high school I was an active member of the Upcoming Horror Movie's forum.  All my spare time at home was spent there and my obsession with the forums spilled over into school.  I would often sneak onto them in classes that we had internet access in.  UHM and the members were vital for me discovering so many amazing horror titles that I would have never found other ways.  I grew up in the poorest county in the US so I couldn't just go out and talk with some of the locals about horror.  Anyway, it was during this time that Japanese horror films were introduced to me.  Versus was one of the first films I looked into and I absolutely loved it.  Sometime later I found it on a double feature DVD release and picked it up to add to my collection.  Honestly, I forgot all about this film over the years and was caught off guard when Arrow Video announced the blu release of it.  It was the perfect time to revisit this one so I reached out to MVD and they were kind enough to send a review copy my way.
     The film follows a prison escapee and the person he is chained with who wander through the woods until they meet the people helping them escape.  The organized crime ring is instructed to wait on their leader but soon find themselves overrun by the dead who are resurrected by the forest.  An unknown woman that was kidnapped and forced to be there seems to be the key to it all but because of the way she is treated by the gangsters the prison inmate takes up for her creating a fight amongst them all.  This forced them to fight for their lives through the woods while the goons are giving chase.
     I never realized just how much I enjoy Versus.  After revisiting it on blu I decided to watch it again the following the day.  It really is a fun and cheesy action horror film that is able to accomplish something that many have failed to do.  First and foremost, this is one of the cheesiest movies I have ever seen.  If you don't find yourself laughing throughout this one then you are clearly not paying attention.  However, the cheese mixes very well with the story.  The acting in this one is very over the top.  All the character deliver memorable roles and bring to life unforgettable characters.  The humor and comedic parts are spot on with some serious laughs being delivered at unexpected times.  However, the action oriented and fight scenes are nothing to scoff at.  The cast does an absolutely brilliant job in the fight scenes with a lot of the stunts really impressing me even though I have seen this one numerous times.  The story for this one has so much going on but still never over-complicates things.  We have the organized crime aspect that starts the film before moving head first into the horror aspect.  This is a smooth and fun transition.  We then have the angle where the fighters are ancient enemies and the forest is one of the many portals to hell.  It works and really pulls you in.  I do have a problem with the 2 hour run time but I also hate seeing the movie end.  An hour and a half is the perfect length for a film but I love Versus so much I really hate when the credits rolls.  Finally, this is one bloody action flick.  We get buckets and buckets of blood with some seriously fun practical effects.  The gore and dismemberment scenes are fabulously done and the make-up effects on the undead is great as well.  The most dedicated horror fans will really appreciate the death scenes here.  Overall, Versus is an absolute must for genre fans.  The movie has so much to enjoy that I would be here all day picking it apart if I had to.  This blu release from Arrow looks absolutely amazing.  The video and audio transfer is leagues above the DVD release I bought all those years ago.  Collectors will want to snag this one while you can.  



No comments:

Post a Comment