Thursday, January 7, 2021

Tremors




Director - Ron Underwood (Fear the Walking Dead, Reaper)
Starring - Kevin Bacon (Friday the 13th, National Lampoon's Animal House), Fred Ward (Joe Dirt, Cast a Deadly Spell), and Finn Carter (The Outer Limits, Monsters)
Release Date - 1990
Genre - Comedy/Horror
Tagline - "They say there's nothing new under the sun.  But under the ground..."
Format - 4K Ultra HD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I was born in the middle of the 80s and raised in the 90s.  I grew up on tapes from the local video store and cable television.  I saw a lot of movies for the first time on shows like USA Up All Night, MonsterVision, and so on along with the random movies playing at different times throughout the day.  In the mid-90s Tremors was a staple of channel TNT and I watched it so many times during this period of my life that I almost hated it.  I really did love it but after watching it so many times in such a short period of time I was sick of it.  I'ts been a good 15 years since I last saw the film but when I saw that Arrow Video was putting out a 4K release of it I had to have it.  I reached out to my friends over at MVD and they were kind enough to send a copy my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows a small town in the middle of nowhere who finds themselves under attack by graboids, giant worm like creatures that have snake-like tentacles they use to pull food into their mouths.  The town is forced to work together or find themselves pulled under the ground where they will be devoured by the giant creatures.
     Tremors is such a goofy movie but I can't help but love it.  I've always struggled with watching it once and leaving it alone.  Anytime I give it a spin I want to watch it again immediately after.  This time was no exception.  It's a campy but fun horror comedy with a great cast, a solid monster story, and great effects.  It really is a fun horror flick for the entire family.  The acting in this one is so much fun.  Kevin Bacon has been in so many movies but I think this one is probably the most playful I've seen him aside from a few comedies.  His character is so much fun and even though the film is a horror movie at heart he brings so many laughs.  I also really enjoyed Fred Ward's performance.  His performance just feeds off Bacon's and the two together is the perfect pairing.  Their on screen chemistry is amazing and it's truly a bummer that these two never teamed up for additional Tremor films.  The supporting cast is just as fun as the two leads.  Robert Jayne is entertaining as the annoying teenager that keeps fucking with the residents of the small town while Michael Gross and Reba McEntire are brilliant as the survivalist couple hoarding guns and supplies.  The story for this one is simple but you can tell a lot of time was spent on character development and story progression.  The characters are either really enjoyable or there to serve the story.  Even the throw away characters contribute something to the film.  Also, the film doesn't throw the horror in your face.  The comedy is at the front of the film with the horror showing up here and there.  The later portion of the film is a little more action oriented but the story never slows down.  Finally, this is not a gory flick.  There is giant monsters, some blood, and a few remains of some animals but that is the extent of it.  However, if you are a monster movie fan you will really enjoy the look of the graboids.  The creatures look fantastic and watching them work on screen is absolutely amazing.  The prosthetics and practical effects in this one are legendary.  Overall, Tremors is a must see for movie fans.  I'd be pretty impressed if I meet someone that hasn't seen this classic flick but if it is going to be your first time you will want to see it in 4K.  This release from Arrow is absolutely phenomenal.  The transfer is fucking great and the additional items in this set is perfect for collectors.  Be sure to add this one to your collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment