Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Don't Panic


Director - Ruben Galindo Jr. (Grave Robbers, Cemetery of Terror)
Starring - Jon Michael Bischof (Rescate Mortal, Ratas Nocturnas), Gabriela Hassel (Las Inocentes, Vacaciones de Terror), and Helena Rojo (Darker Than Night, The House in the South)
Release Date - 1988
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "The real nightmare is just beginning"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     Several months back Vinegar Syndrome began releasing movies from Mexican director Ruben Galindo Jr.  Over the months they released Grave Robbers and Cemetery of Terror.  I absolutely loved these films and these releases are fucking top notch.  When Vin Syn announced a third Galindo Jr. release I had to have it.  As soon as I was able to order Don't Panic on their website during their Black Friday sale I did.  When I got the package from Vin Syn I almost tossed this one in first but I was just too curious to check out Silent Madness before I spun this one.  I'm glad I waited because Silent Madness was the better movie but Don't Panic was still a lot of fun.  Keep up the good work Vin Syn!
     The film follows high schooler Michael who is pressured into playing with an Ouija board on his birthday.  Things take a predictable but deadly turn when the people that was with him begin dying after he starts having visions of his death.  The police start to suspect it's him but soon Michael discovers that it's his friend Tony who is possessed and doing the killing.  It's up to Michael to take a sacred dagger from Tony and kill him with it before he can add more to his body count.  
     Cemetery of Terror and Grave Robbers was so much fun to me because both films had amazing sets and atmosphere.  Movies here in the states sell because of nudity, gore, and more nudity.  It's not often that we get a gothic styled horror film with great atmosphere.  I couldn't wait to see Don't Panic but just after a few minutes it was safe to it was not like the other film but still a very enjoyable late 80s horror film.  The acting in this one had me fucking laughing.  The film's lead, Jon Michael Bischof, is the most over-dramatic actor I have ever laid my eyes on.  Some of his scenes had me pausing the film because I was laughing so hard.  It gets even worse in the scenes he's wearing his dinosaur pajamas in.  The supporting cast is not that bad.  In fact, there was a few characters that I really liked but I have no idea what was going through Galindo Jr's mind when he was watching Bischof.  The story for this one is one we have seen before but it still finds it own's footing.  A demonic presence being summoned by teens playing with an Ouija board is nothing new to horror.  In fact, it's pretty played out in modern horror.  However, there is not many horror films in the 80s that used this plot device.  The film flows like a slasher but uses the cat and mouse chase with the story a little too much.  A good portion of the film is the character of Michael running to and from Tony.  It becomes repetitive at times.  Finally, the film is not afraid of a little blood.  The practical effects are not that great but the kills are very bloody.  Also, I really enjoyed the make-up effects on the possessed Tony character.  It really sold the character for me and made the film a lot of fun.  Overall, Don't Panic is Ruben Galindo Jr's cheesiest film but it's still a lot of fun.  The release from Vinegar Syndrome is nothing short of amazing.  I highly recommend this one for collectors.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment