Friday, January 22, 2021

Galaxy of the Dinosaurs



Director - J.R. Bookwalter (Robot Ninja, Polymorph)
Starring - James Black (The Burning Zone, Godzilla), Christine Morrison (Ozone, Chickboxer), and Tom Hoover (Dead and Rotting, Ozone)
Release Date - 1992
Genre - Sci-Fi/Comedy
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     It took a few days but here I am at the end of the Tempe Digital SOV Six-Pack.  When filmmaker J.R. Bookwalter announced his SOV Six-Pack I couldn't wait to have it.  The unique set was the selling point but having the films as they were originally released and not part of the Bad Movie Police line was definately a plus.  After watching several awesome, and a few not so awesome, movies it's now time for the last one in the set which is 1992's Galaxy of the Dinosaurs.  This is one I've heard about before from other movie fans.  It's notorious for using scenes from Planet of the Dinosuars with new footage that Bookwalter had filmed.  Honestly, I was still excited to check this oddball film out.
     The film follows a group on a space ship when they learn that their flight has been sabotaged.  They are forced to crash land on a planet inhabited by dinosaurs and forced to fight to survive.  That is until they learn that it was all part of an evil plan by one of their own.
     I tossed this one in expecting a strange shit show of a film but I actually found myself liking it.  Sure, it's a cheap way to make a movie but I'm a fan of cheap movies.  It's fun for a first time watch but it's not a memorable film experience.  The acting in this one is solid but nothing amazing.  The cast is fully dedicated to their roles and gives every scene everything they have.  The characters are a little underwritten and they sometimes blend in with the scene but the cast does the best they can with what they were given.  The story for this one was written around inserting those scenes from Planet of the Dinosaurs.  It actually works and is heavily influences by sci-fi television shows and movies of the 60s and 70s.  I really enjoyed this cheesy story even if old footage from another film was used.  I know that turns some people off to it but I liked it a lot.  As I stated earlier, this is not the kind of movie that will stick with you for days but it is good corny fun.  Overall, Galaxy of the Dinosaurs is a cheap movie that is surprisingly fun.  It's not one that everyone will appreciate but I enjoyed it for what it was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment