Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Bad Boy Bubby




Director - Rolf de Heer (Alien Visitor, Charlie's Country)
Starring - Nicholas Hope (Scooby-Doo, The Invisible Man), Claire Benito (Ultraman: Towards the Future, Struck by Lightning), and Ralph Cotterill (Howling III, Ultraman G)
Release Date - 1993
Genre - Comedy/Drama
Tagline - "He's been in his room for 35 years... it's time to let him out!"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     As a collector I find myself pulled to certain genres.  I love horror, which is a give in, but I enjoy exploitation more than I do horror.  I absolutely adore finding exploitation and the various sub-genres to add to my collection.  However, I occasionally get a movie that defies labelling.  A month or so ago Umbrella Entertainment announced the blu release of the 1993 film Bad Boy Bubby.  I had heard of this one before when it received a DVD release here in the U.S. but I never had a chance to check it out.  This is a film that supposedly defied labelling which really peaked my curiosity.  I reached out to Umbrella and they were kind enough to send a blu my way for review.  
     The film follows Bubby (Hope) who is a prisoner in his home.  Bubby is 35 and his mother has him convinced that the outside world lacks air.  However, after a stray cat wonders in and his father, who has been absent since birth, finally appears proving that air is outside.  He accidentally kills both his parents and is free from his claustrophobic prison.  Now, in the real world he finds himself exploring his sexuality and how the real world operates.
     Trying to classify Bad Boy Bubby is damn near impossible.  The film is bleak yet funny.  It's depressing yet inspiring.  It's scary yet comforting.  The movie is unlike anything I had seen before and I don't think I will see anything like it for the remainder of my life.  This movie is a must see for any cult movie fans.  The acting in this one is very one sided but it's absolutely insane.  The supporting cast is solid but the characters are not as entertaining as Bubby.  Nicholas Hope does one hell of a job as Bubby.  His performance is funny and heartbreaking at the same time.  He has appeared in so many different films since this one but this is, by far, his most memorable performance in my opinion.  He makes this film what it is.  The story for this one is a bit different than most of your other films.  The movie takes an unconventional approach to story telling but it works.  Following the mentally stunted Bubby as he explores a modern day (early 90s) world makes for a weird and depressing discoveries.  With that being said, the movie was almost 2 hours long.  Several of the scenes could be trimmed down to make the movie flow a lot better but the film is still a must see the way it is.  Finally, the film is not a bloody flick.  We do have some deaths at the beginning of the film but they did not showcase any blood or gore.  The movie is very much focused on character interactions over practical effects.  Overall, Bad Boy Bubby is one of the strangest yet entertaining films I've seen in a long ass time.  This release from Umbrella is a must own.  Snag it when you can because you will not be disappointed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment