Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Strawberry Estates




Director - Ron Bonk (She Kills, House Shark)
Starring - Lisa Chelenza (Check Out, Reynolds City), Chrissy Frick, and Bob Fullenbaum
Release Date - 1997/1999
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "The truth is in here"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Found footage is a sub-genre I find myself not really interested in.  I enjoy The Blair Witch Project and a few random ones that I've reviewed over the years but the sub-genre as a whole is pretty disappointing.  For me, I find it difficult to watch most found footage flicks because of the awkward and horrid dialogue.  The small talk is the worst which makes for a cringy movie experience.  A few weeks ago I received a few of the SRS Cinema retro DVD releases from MVD which included a found footage flick directed by SRS founder Ron Bonk.  I recently dug into his S.O.V. horror flick City of the Vampires and enjoyed it so I was very curious about this one.
     The film follows a group of paranormal investigators who visit the abandoned Strawberry Estates which was once an asylum.  One of them is a psychic who is trying to speak with some of those that passed on the property but something is clouding her abilities.  Soon they uncover that the property is actually a gateway and their lives are in jeopardy.
     Strawberry Estates is a bit of an odd found footage flick.  Most genre fans wrongfully credit Blair Witch as the first found footage flick but that is far from the case.  This style of film was actually used as far back as the 60s but Blair Witch is by far the most popular.  Seeing that Bonk directed a found footage film prior to Blair Witch's popularity really is unusual for the 90s.  Anyway, Bonk first filmed Strawberry Estates in 1997 and then reshot it again in 1999 with additional cast members.  This DVD actually included both films but my review is for the feature length release.  The acting in this one is pretty grounded and solid.  The characters are not annoying at all and the small talk, that all found footage films use to make it feel like a documentary over a film, is not that awkward.  In fact, it was pretty smooth and held my attention very well.  I really liked how Bonk handled this one and the cast does a fantastic job at making the film work.  The story for this one is pretty cool for a found footage flick.  An abandoned asylum that is now the gateway to a supernatural world is pretty fucking great but the story just doesn't cut it for the one hour and forty minute run time.  I was sold on the movie until I had hit the hour mark and nothing worth noting had happened.  I then spent the next 30 or so minutes wondering what the point of the movie was.  Honestly, I really enjoy the idea of the film but it could be trimmed down to less than an hour.  It's way too long which makes it extremely difficult to finish.  Finally, the film has a few deaths in the movie's final moments that has some blood but if you are looking for amazing practical effects and gore then you will be disappointed.  Overall, Strawberry Estates had me sold but once I hit the hour mark I found myself asking what the point of it all was.  A good chunk needs to be cut out in order for me to take it seriously.  I really like director Ron Bonk and his films have never let me down but this is one I can't recommend.  Skip it.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment