Tuesday, March 16, 2021

The Hideous Bog Monster



Director - James Baack (Dracula's Orgy of the Damned, Werewolf Massacre at Hell's Gate)
Starring - Tina Boivin (Hobo with a Trash Can, Frying Saucer), Andrew Baack (Dracula's Orgy of the Damned, Werewolf Massacre at Hell's Gate), and Herbie Savage (Cult of the Shadow People)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Back from hell to do the Devil's work"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     A few weeks ago I was looking through the upcoming releases at MVD to see if anything caught my eye when I saw The Hideous Bog Monster.  The artwork and title sold me on the film so I reached out to MVD for a review copy.  I couldn't find any information about this one after I requested it but I couldn't wait to dig into this strange looking film.  I want to thank MVD for taking the time to send this one my way.
     The film follows a maniac in a gorilla suit as he wonders around aimlessly killing people any way he can.  The bodies he collects is then used for a horrible experiment.  
     I couldn't wait to toss this one in and when I finally did I quickly regretted that decision.  I tend to enjoy movies centered around bigfoot, sasquatch, bog creatures, and son on so when I saw another indie horror film using this theme I was hooked.  Sadly, the movie was a mess from start to finish and not in a fun Richard Mogg type of way.  I really wanted to like it and after speaking with the director I feel like a piece of shit for writing a negative review but this movie was not for me.  The acting in this one is very inconsistent.  We get some fun performances by some of the cast and other scenes are extremely dull and underwhelming.  In these scenes it feels as if the cast is uncomfortable or extremely awkward in front of the camera.  The cast really tries but the performances are not that fun.  The story for this one could have been something fun but the editing and length of the film works against it.  The movie feels like a bunch of random scenes edited together with the story then added at a later time.  This results in horrible pacing and a choppy story to follow.   The film is almost two hours long and well over an hour could be trimmed off of it.   Finally, the film has more deaths than you can count but they are rushed, cheap, and not as fun as you would expect from a film that stars a guy in a gorilla suit.  We get plenty of blood but there is no originality or fun practical effects that make these death scenes so much fun.  Overall, The Hideous Bog Monster left me scratching my head throughout the entire running time and when it was over I was still confused as to what was happening.  I want to be able to recommend this one but I can't.  You need to skip it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment