Monday, March 22, 2021

Suicide Club




Director - Maximilian Von Vier (The Host, Sanctuary)
Starring - Therica Wilson-Read (Sinners, The Last Call), Klariza Clayton (House of Anubis, Blood Money), and Kate Lister (Clickbait, Curse of the Scarecrow)
Release Date - 2017
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Kill_or_be_killed"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I love the wide range of indie flicks that Wild Eye releases.  Obviously, I have my eye on their horror releases but Wild Eye has really impressed me with some of their non-genre releases.  After I had Vicious knock me for a loop I found myself very disappointed in The Death Pledge and Godforsaken.  I had a few more Wild Eye flicks left to review so I went into them hoping that they were better than the two previous films.  The next movie I was digging into was the 2017 horror thriller Suicide Club from director Maximilian von Vier.  I want to thank Wild Eye and MVD for sending this one over.
     The film follows a young woman who is afraid of leaving her apartment.  She turns to the internet for social interaction where begins stalking a new resident of the apartment complex she lives in.  She also finds herself becoming a member of an online community known as the Suicide Club where you are tasked with providing a name for them to "kill" or you will die.  Soon she finds herself deep in this madness while suspecting that another resident is a serial killer.
     I didn't know what to expect when I tossed in Suicide Club.  I'm very familiar with the Japanese horror flick from 2001 so I was curious how a film that borrows the title and had that amazing artwork would play out.  I really enjoyed it but it's one that will split genre fans.  The acting in this one is very well done.  Klariza Clayton does a phenomenal job as the reclusive yet snoopy Liz.  She does a great job and she really fit in the role very well.  The character is a little flat but she fits with the story very well and makes it feel very genuine.  The supporting cast is much of the same.  They do a fantastic job but the characters are very generic and cliched.  No one really stands out but they do a great job at fitting in the story.  The story for this one is very predictable but it's fun.  Having a young woman who is afraid of the outside world seek out a suicide club is pretty unique.  We then have the love interest that changes her mind about it all only makes sense and adds to the story.  However, having the suicide site and club not be the main antagonist of the film is a bit of a let down.  Instead, we have the theorized serial killer that has a decent sized build up only to dissipate.  Both could have been much more than what we were given.  The film is too focused on Liz overcoming her fear of the outside world and finding a reason to live instead of the horror aspect of the story.  Finally, the film has some blood but nothing that is that impressive or will leave a lasting impression.  The movie is more character driven than bloodshed.  Overall, Suicide Club is a fun and interesting movie.  The cast is great and the story is pretty solid.  There is some room for improvement but it's still a solid flick the way it is.  I recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment