Monday, March 29, 2021

Feaster Sunday




Director - Brian Papandrea (The Big F, Beyond the Valley of Belief)
Starring - Brian Papandrea, Allison Maier (Spring Break Zombie Massacre, Space Babes from Outer Space), and Patrick L. Dear (Guardia de Male, Chubbies)
Release Date - 2021
Genre - Horror/Thriller
Tagline - "Opening night is going to be KILLER!"
Format - Streaming (Online Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Brian Papandrea and the folks at Rock Bottom Video are the type of filmmakers that really excite me.  Not in a boner way but they make me excited to watch movies again.  I get so many movies in to review that are cashing in on a trend or are trying way too hard to be an extreme horror flick only to fail miserably.  When I hear that Brian Papandrea is stepping into the director's chair I can't help but get excited for whatever he brings to us next.  His career so far has not disappointed me and when he announced Feaster Sunday I knew I would have a new Easter classic to watch yearly.  A few days ago Brian reached out to me to review Feaster Sunday and I couldn't say yes fast enough.  Thanks Brian for allowing myself and Horror Society the opportunity to review the film. 
     Dr. Gideon Lear just wants to put on the greatest Passion play this little town has ever seen, but his Jesus has disappeared, the lead actress is distracted by a love triangle with the understudy and a high school sweetheart, some filthy hobo won't go away and someone is painting ominous warnings on the door.
     When Brian first announced Feaster Sunday I was expecting a holiday themed slasher but after 15 or so minutes it was evident this was something very different.  It's not a film I would expect from him but it wasn't a bad film either.  It made it's own path and created something very different and very entertaining.  Brian and company should be really proud of what they accomplished here.  The acting in this one is great.  Papandrea is just as talented in front of the camera as he is behind it.  His characters are usually over the top and extremely funny but this time around he delivers a very grounded but slightly exaggerated character that really sold the story.  I also enjoyed Allison Maier's performance as well.  She has appeared in several films that I was lucky enough to review in the past.  She is absolutely gorgeous and extremely talented.  The character she brought to life in the film is very much an important part of the story and she does one hell of a job with it.  I was really surprised by the performance we got from Dustin Mills.  He's no stranger of stepping in front of the camera when he needs to but he has made a name for himself by directing.  However, here he has shown that he could be taken very seriously as an actor.  He brought some much needed laughs to the film.  The supporting cast is just as fun.  Dave Parker is always going to be Jesus and Terrence Cover delivers another fantastic performance.  I promised after my last review of a film that included him that I would not forget about him...and I didn't.  The story for this one has a lot going on with it.  The film has some slasher moments but it is far more than your average slasher.  This angle is not the focus of the film and is only there at certain times.  Instead, the main focus of the film is Eddie and his "relationship" with the female actress.  This part of the film reminded me so much of the black comedy Office Killer which I fucking loved.  Brian said this was unlike any of his other films and he was right but that doesn't mean it's a bad film.  I fucking loved the story, the progression, and watching the character interact.  Finally, the film has some blood but the film is more story and character driven than it is gore focused.  The blood looks good and the few gags we get look solid enough but gorehounds may be disappointed here.  Overall, Feaster Sunday is an odd Easter film that I cannot recommend enough.  I love the cast, the characters, and the unexpected story.  Papandrea took a gamble with this one and it pays off in a big way.  This is, by far, my favorite film of his and I can't wait to revisit it when it gets an official release.  

No comments:

Post a Comment