Thursday, March 25, 2021

The Bermuda Depths




Director - Tsugunobu Kotani (The Last Dinosaur, The Ivory Ape)
Starring - Leigh McCloskey (Inferno, Babylon 5), Carl Weathers (Predator, Rocky), and Connie Sellecca (Captain America II: Death Too Soon, The Greatest American Hero)
Release Date - 1978
Genre - Fantasy
Tagline - "It came up from the..."
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     In the mid to late 70s an American production company teamed up with a Japanese film company to create three made for television movies using techniques from both companies to create something unique for American television audiences.  In 1978 the pair released the fantasy adventure film The Bermuda Depths starring Carl Weathers.  This odd but entertaining film has been released on some form of format over the years and I've seen images from it but I never had the opportunity to check it out for myself until now.  When Warner Bros. announced the blu release of this one I jumped at the chance to see it.  I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed it.  I want to thank WB for sending this over.
     The film follows a scientist and his crew who are searching the deep sea when they encounter a larger than life sea turtle that has connections to one of the young men and his youth.
     The movie was not what I was expecting at all but I had so much fun with it.  I don't see myself watching this one again but I found it very charming.  It was very much what you would expect from a made for television movie from the 70s but with that Japanese kaiju-esque flair.  The acting in this one is not that great.  I wouldn't call it bad but it's definately cheesy.  The characters are fun and the cast really gets into their roles but they ham up the scenes.  The story for this one is chaotic, a little confusing, but fun for the most part.  The supernatural aspect of the film is a bit out of place and not as fun as you would think but I absolutely loved the giant sea turtle roaming the sea.  It's fun and really has that 70s Japanese kaiju look and feel to it.  It was a fun part of the story but not enough to make it as fun as it could have been.  Finally, this is not a bloody or gory flick.  This fantasy film focuses on the beautiful scenaries of Bermuda along with the the turtle.  We don't get a lot of turtle action but it's fun watching it "swim" in the ocean.  Overall, The Bermuda Depths is not the film the poster or artwork paints but it's a fun fantasy film.  The blu from Warner actually surprised me by how good it looks but the lack of special features is very disappointing.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment