Friday, October 16, 2020

Cult Girls


Director - Mark Bakaitis (The Hellfire Club Melbourne, Narcosys)
Starring - Saara Lamberg (An Audience with the Devil, Horror!), Jane Badler (V, Offspring), and Dean Kirkright (Charlie's Farm, Blood Hunt)
Release Date - 2019
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Sleepwalk children, into the valley of death"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     This October has been a little bit of a let down.  Some of the movies I've looked forward to watching the most has been huge let downs.  I wanted to like so many of these movies sent my way for review but I can't like them all.  A few weeks ago my friends at Umbrella Entertainment sent me over the films The Last Wave and Cult Girls to review.  The Last Wave was a very entertaining thriller that was not what I was expecting.  I was very much looking forward to Cult Girls but I found myself not enjoying it like I had hopes. I still want to thank Umbrella for sending it my way!
     The film follows a young girl who is part of a cult.  She is rescued by police one day but her family is able to escape with other members of the cult.  Sometime goes by and she is unable to find her family but news of a hermit that is a local legend among the metal scene has insight into the cult setting her on a quest to find him and eventually her family.  
      I was so excited for this one.  I had been looking forward to checking it out all month but the movie was just a mess in my opinion.  It didn't know what kind of movie it wanted to be which created a somewhat confusing viewing experience.  Honestly, I feel like this is the low point of the month.  The acting in this one is decent at times and at others it comes across as rushed and not in character.  A few of the scenes are very well acted and the characters are very well written.  Sadly, most of the film just feels like the cast is saying their dialogue so they can push it through to the next scene.  The story for this one looks great on paper but the execution is extremely messy and unorganized.  The movie moves at a snail's pace and the character's dialogue is painful to sit through.  Finally, if you want a bloody flick this Halloween season then this one is not the one for you.  The movie relies heavily on the cult and imagery, which is succeeds with, but doesn't offer up much in the way of the red stuff.  Overall, Cult Girls has some beautiful imagery and cinematography but is struggles in every other aspect.  Skip it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment