Tuesday, October 6, 2020

The Tax Collector




Director - David Ayer (Suicide Squad, Sabotage)
Starring - Bobby Soto (Monster Survival Guide, The Closer), Cinthya Carmona (Rush Hour, The Fix), and Shia LaBeouf (Transformers, Lawless)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Crime/Action
Format - 4K Ultra HD (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     For months I've been seeing videos, pictures, new articles, and memes for the David Ayer action flick The Tax Collector.  David Ayer impressed me with Sabotage and Suicide Squad so I was ready to dive into this one regardless of the hate it was receiving online from keyboard warriors and LeBeouf's performance.  When I received the press release for the physical release from RLJE I had to jump on it.  I requested a review copy and they really hooked me up.  I was sent the UHD release in a steelbook featuring the bad ass artwork pictured above.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows a loyal tax collector and his hired gun as they travel the city picking up drops from the local drug dealers and so forth.  A heavy drop takes a dark turn when he reveals he has switched sides and is working for a rival.  The tax collector and his body guard refuse to switch and soon an all war finds it's way to his doorstep.
     I went into this one with high hopes seeing it was a film from Ayers and starring LeBeouf but the movie just didn't feel finished or stuff was changed on the fly.  I don't know when principle photography started on the film or what but maybe Covid hit or something along those lines because the movie just doesn't feel like it was properly finished.  Whatever the reasoning the movie just wasn't that fun.  I liked the characters and the story starts out decent but once we hit the half way mark the movie just doesn't have that edge I was looking for.  The acting in this one is fucking amazing.  Soto commands the film.  I was afraid that LeBeouf would out stage the entire cast but Soto delivers a fucking top notch performance.  LeBeouf holds his own and his character will be a fan favorite but Soto deserves some much needed credit.  The supporting cast is just as good and the film houses so many fantastic characters.  It's a damn shame the story didn't reach the character's level.  The story for this one dives deep into organized crime and gang culture.  The movie starts out on the right foot and does a fantastic job building up the characters and the settings.  However, once we reach the middle of the film the story just unfolds with no real impact on the viewer.  The sense of urgency, dread, and death has no impact.  It's almost done in a heartless manner that brings nothing out of the viewer.  Even the deaths of our favorite characters have no impact or emotion behind them.  It just happens and you are indifferent about it.  Finally, the film showcases some serious blood and practical effects.  The deaths and practical effects are pretty fucking impressive.  I wasn't expecting that when I tossed it in.  In fact, one scene in particular had me rewinding the film to see the effects again.  Overall, The Tax Collector is far from perfect and I don't see myself tossing it in again willingly but it did have some moments that I would recommend checking out.  It deserves at least one watch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment