Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Get Out





Director - Jordan Peele (Us)
Starring - Daniel Kaluuya (Black Panther, Kick-Ass 2), Allison Williams (The Mindy Project, The Simpsons), and Catherine Keener (The 40 Year Old Virgin, Bad Grandpa)
Release Date - 2017
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "Just because you're invited, doesn't mean you're welcome"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Every year closes with one horror film becoming the most popular film for that year.  A few years ago horror pages and movies collecting groups were going rabid over Jordan Peele's directorial debut.  Honestly, I was curious about the movie myself but I was unable to see it in theaters and before I knew it the movie had already received a physical release.  I snagged a copy but I never found the time to watch it.  That changed when I got in this Blumhouse set to review.  I could finally see the film people had been raving about.
     The film follows young couple Chris (Kaluuya) and Rose (Williams) who is visiting Rose's parents for the first time after becoming a couple.  A simple weekend getaway takes a weird turn when Rose's family begins acting strange along with the guests that are over for a social her parents are having.  Soon Chris discovers their true intentions and why Rose invited him to her parent's home.
     I can see why so many people loved Get Out.  It was a great horror film that combines social commentary with real horror.  I liked it but it did take some time before the movie picked up and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to finish it.  The second half made up for the extremely abysmal first half.  The acting in this one is absolutely fantastic.  Kaluuya carries the movie and his character is very well written.  His racial identity works very well for the story and Kaluuya gave the film his everything.  With that being said, my favorite performance comes from Allison Williams.  Her innocent persona was charming but once the film kicks into the horror portion she really shined.  I was really impressed by how she switched it up.  The supporting cast is great as well and deliver amazing performances.  The story for this one pretty sinister if you really think about it but it's rather predictable.  I really liked the social aspect in the film but you can see the twist coming.  I liked it but there could have been a different approach to it to make the twist have more impact.  Finally, if you want some blood then you got it.  It's not a gory flick but the film still gives us some great scenes with blood and great practical effects.  Overall, Get Out is a well put together horror thriller but I find it difficult to say it's as amazing as others proclaim it to be.  It's still worth a watch and one of the better films in the this set.  

No comments:

Post a Comment