Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Drop Dead Gorgeous




Director - Michael Patrick Jann (Daybreak, Reno 911!)
Starring - Kirsten Dunst (Interview with a Vampire, Spider-Man), Ellen Barkin (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Faerie Tale Theatre), and Allison Janney (The Addams Family, Ma)
Release Date - 1999
Genre - Comedy
Tagline - "The battle between the good and the bad is about to get ugly"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was in high school I remember seeing the 1999 mockumentary Drop Dead Gorgeous at the local video store but I never had the desire to watch it.  Some of my movie friends talked about how funny it was but, honestly, the idea of watching a comedy about a beauty pageant really didn't sound like something I would enjoy.  Fast forward about 15 or so years and I've discovered that I love a lot of these quirky 90s comedies that time has seemed to forgot.  When I received a review silicit for the blu release of Drop Dead Gorgeous I decided to finally pull the trigger on it.  I requested a copy and WB was kind enough to send one my way.  Thanks guys!
     The film follows a small town that is gearing up for a beauty pageant while a documentary film crew films everything.  The crew films the judges, contestants, and those responsible for the pageant as strange things happen like the death of the all-star female who was everyone's choice to win, to the deaths of others involved.
     When I made a post about watching this film for the first time on Facebook I had several friends comment on the post talking about how awesome the movie was.  This made me really excited to finally check it out but I was quick to see that the movie was not nearly as funny as everyone lead me to believe.  The film did have a few laughs and fun characters but I found myself becoming bored with it fairly early on.  It was fun but I don't want to ever watch it again.  The acting in this one is great.  The entire cast is fantastic and the characters really do make the film.  Most mockumentaries fail to give viewers entertaining characters but this cast does a phenomenal job.  The story for this one is simple, straight forward, and grounded but it is also boring at times and very, very predictable.  The characters do their best to hold your attention but the scenes become very dry and super boring.  The simple story would work if there was a little more going on in each scene rather than the purposely and brilliantly done awkward interviews.  Finally, the film is not one for those of you looking for blood and gore.  There is a gag with some make-up effects that was rather impressive but no bloodshed for you sick fucks.  Overall, Drop Dead Gorgeous has some funny moments and is overflowing with memorable characters but the scenes are so dull at times that you will feel yourself drifting away from the movie.  The blu looks great but the lack of supplemental material will not make it a must own for avid fans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment