Sunday, October 18, 2020

Voodoo Apocalypse


Director - Vasni Ramos (En un Momento)
Starring - Sergio G. Ramos (Jose Pedro, Conoces a Gustavo?), Domingo Efege, and Jesus Santana 
Release Date - 2018
Genre - Horror/Comedy
Tagline - "Only two jerks can save the world from the apocalypse"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) 

Rating (out of 5):

     It looks like my month is starting to pick up.  I may be sick but the movies I have lined up for the next few days seem to be pretty fucking solid putting the rut of bad movies behind me.  After watching a few duds and then checking out the amazing They Live Inside Us and season 1 of Picard I decided to dive into a blind buy I recently purchased.  A few days ago I was at Walmart when I saw the grindhouse inspired horror comedy Voodoo Apocalypse aka Apocalipsis Voodoo.  It looked fun so I grabbed it and as soon as I finished up Picard I dived deep into it.  
    The film follows two quirky and tougher than nails cops as they try to stop a voodoo musician with the power to raise the dead simply by strumming his guitar.  
     I've been watching exploitation flicks for almost 20 years now so I can appreciate a movie when a modern movies tries to capture what it meant to be an exploitation flick in the 70s.   Voodoo Apocalypse really does have that look and parodies some of the cliches but jokes run their course fairly early in the film.  It does become a bit tedious to finish it after that but It's a fun flick even if the humor falls flat towards the end of the film.  The acting in this one is extremely fun.  I really loved the cast and how dedicated to being a classic grindhouse character that they were.  Their performances are brilliant and their characters are something that will stick with you days after you've seen the film.  The story for this one is focused more on that authentic action exploitation look that it is at giving the viewer a decent story.  The theme of the film is fun but once the viewer discovers the story is lacking they realize that the gimmick is paper thin.  Its fun for what it is but the viewer will become tired of it by the 45 minute mark.  Finally, if you want some blood and gore you will be a little disappointed.  There is some bloody visual effects and several cheap explosions but nothing to satisfy the bloodlust several of you fucks have.  Overall, Voodoo Apocalypse has plenty of funny moments and memorable characters but the grindhouse gimmick and lack of a story really made it one that was hard to finish.  With that being said, the first 45 or 50 minutes is like fucking dynamite.  It's deserves at least one viewing but don't expect one with replay value.  

No comments:

Post a Comment