Friday, October 23, 2020

Runaway Nightmare


Director - Dustin Ferguson (Ebola Rex, 5G Zombies)
Starring - Ronne Angel (Tales from the Grave, Axegrinder II), Clint Beaver (Amityville Clownhouse, Nemesis 5), and Dawna Lee Heising (House of Pain, The Woods)
Release Date - 2018
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "She thought she had escaped, but the worst was yet to come"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     Halloween is just a week away so I'm diving as deep as I can into as many horror movies as I can.  I'm trying to get movies I've never seen before that I've had in my collection for sometime but a few new additions are getting tossed in my player because I'm just too excited to see them.  I recently received Dustin Ferguson's WXIP - TV Channel 6 Triple Feature in with his Angry Asian Murder Hornets.  After I spun through the first film, Wrong Side of the Tracks, I had to have more and took a dive into Runaway Nightmare.
     The film follows the young lady that escaped the cult in the first film who returns home.  Her grandfather becomes a drunk and during one of his drinking binges he tries to fuck her.  She runs away from home only to find herself confronted by the cult once again.
     I really liked the look and atmosphere that Wrong Side of the Tracks was able to pull off.  I was really excited to see Runaway Nightmares and it was able to replicate that while giving us a continuation of the original story.  The acting in this one is more of the same as the first one.  The cast does a solid enough job but the performance is meant to mirror those local public access movies from the late 80s and they do a decent enough job of that.  The story for this one is a quick pick up from where the first film left off.  We follow the young woman who escapes only to find her way back in their arms again.  This is a great send off to those Halloween safety tip videos while adding in the Satanic Panic that swept suburbia of that time.  The commercial breaks are fun and add even more to that atmosphere.  Finally, this one again follows the made for television trope fairly close and doesn't deliver the blood and gore that most horror movies do.  Instead, this one is all about that late night cable aesthetics.  Overall, Runaway Nightmare is a great follow up to the first film and really does a great job building that nostalgia factor that most millennials crave.  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment