Saturday, October 3, 2020

Hooker with a Hacksaw



Director(s) - Donald Farmer (Cannibal Hookers, Shark Exorcist) and Caroline Kopko (Cannibal Hookers)
Starring - Kasper Meltedhair (Grindsploitation 666, Cannibal Cop), Jason Crowe (The Bad Man, Harvest Lake), and Colleen Herkert (Grindsploitation 666)
Release Date - 2017
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "She'll love you...to pieces"
Format - DVD (Personal Collection) 

Rating (out of 5):

     I recently found myself hunting down the films of Donald Farmer.  I had reviewed a few of his films previously but after getting his remake of Cannibal Hookers in I needed more.  I turned to Amazon and started grabbing any movie of his I didn't have.  Then I came across his imdb page and noticed that I couldn't find his 2017 horror film Hooker with a Hacksaw anywhere.  I reached out to Farmer on Facebook and he confirmed an upcoming release of the film.  I waited a few months and sure enough a DVD was announced from the newly formed Skullheart Video.  As soon as I saw that orders were up for the film I jumped on it and it arrived just a few days later.  I couldn't wait to dig into it!
     The film follows phone sex operator Kirsten (Meltedhair) who receives a call to meet up with a man who offers her just the right amount to do it.  She agrees and meets him.  A few days later Raymond calls her and tells her that she was recommended by a friend to meet up.  She declines at first but he soon convinces her to do it.  However, she soon realizes that she shouldn't have accepted his offer.  Left beaten and broken but a group of masked men, she sets out for revenge with her trusty hacksaw. 
     I really can't express how excited I was for this one.  I really enjoyed Cannibal Hookers and I'm a fan of Jason Crowe so this movie was one of my most anticipated horror films of the Halloween season.  Sadly, it would be my biggest let down of the month.  The movie struggled to hold my attention and the story was just all over the place.  I wanted to love it but at the end of the day it was one I doubt I will ever watch again.  The acting in this one is very uneven with most of the cast falling flat.  Most of the cast is awkwardly saying their dialogue with no real attempt at creating a character.  Most are just going through the motion which makes most of the scenes a struggle to sit through.  The story for this one could have been a sleazy classic but the editing and organization of the scenes makes the story flow at a weird rate and some of the scenes are just tossed in to extend the running time with little or nothing to do with the actual story.  Finally, this one doesn't shy away from the red stuff.  We get some blood and gore.  The kills are done quickly or off screen but Farmer doesn't take all the fun away from the viewer.  We watch Kirsten really cut loose on the bodies with some solid practical effects.  Overall, Hooker with a Hacksaw could have been something so much more but fails to pull itself together.  It's a messy one and I'm not referring to the blood.  This is one indie flick I would skip on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment