Sunday, October 18, 2020

Star Trek: Picard Season 1


Director(s) - Hanelle M. Culpepper (Supergirl, The Flash), Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek: Discovery, The Orville), Akiva Goldsman (Titans, Fringe), Maja Vrvilo (Gotham, Preacher), and Douglas Aarniokoski (Arrow, Sleepy Hollow)
Starring - Patrick Stewart (Star Trek: The Next Generation, X-Men), Alison Pill (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Cooties), and Isa Briones (American Crime Story, Takers)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Sci-Fi
Tagline - "The end is only the beginning"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was growing up I would watch random episodes of the Star Trek series but I never went out of the way to watch them in order.  I enjoyed what I saw but I just never took the time to invest in any of the series.  A few weeks ago I received season 1 of the new ST series Picard.  I don't recall requesting it but I was excited to check it out nonetheless.  I was going to wait until after October because I didn't want to break up my month long horror binge but I recently became sick and didn't want to get up and down to change discs so I decided I would go ahead and spin.  I'm glad I did because it was amazing.
     The film follows the now retired Picard who is spending his last days on a vineyard when he is approached by a young woman who is a synth that may be connected to the now dead Data.  She is assassinated by a sect of Romulan assassins but he learns she had a twin.  His quest to find and protect her takes him through space where he encounters many old faces.
     I was worried that I wouldn't understand what was going on because I'm not the most versed on the Star Trek mythos but Picard spins it's own tale while making nods to the classic series.  I really enjoyed the new story and you don't really have to know anything about ST in general to really appreciate this new sci-fi series.  The acting in this one is absolutely amazing.  In fact, I love it so much so that I have to repress the urge to mention almost each and every cast member.  The characters are brilliant and many of them has had years, or decades, to fine tune their performance and personalities.  The cast is huge in scope but everyone really does a fantastic job ranging from the familiar faces to the new ones as well.  The story for this one is very deep and brings is so many aspects of the previous series.  However, it does a fantastic job at explaining these things meaning you don't have to have any previous ST knowledge to appreciate it.  There is a lot of character development, action, and tons of adventure.  Honestly, you really need to see this to appreciate what I'm trying to say.  Finally, the film is full of amazing visual effects that are really impressive. Also, I was surprised at a few scenes that have more blood than I was expecting.  The practical effects are solid but the visuals are really amazing.  Overall, season 1 of Picard and a must see.  The story, visuals, and acting are top notch and, honestly, I binged the entire season in one sitting and when it was over I wanted more.  Season 2 needs to hurry!

No comments:

Post a Comment