Saturday, October 3, 2020

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation




Director - Kim Henkel 
Starring - Renee Zellweger (Cold Mountain, Dazed and Confused), Matthew McConaughey (My Boyfriend's Back, Reign of Fire), and Robert Jacks (Scary Movie, Slacker)
Release Date - 1995
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "If looks could kill, he wouldn't need a chainsaw"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     Over the years I've been fortunate enough to review several of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre releases.  Some were re-releases while a few were newer installments that went direct to video.  Regardless, I'm always shocked when I get a TCM flick in for review.  I grew up with the movies and many of you that know me on a personal level know my views on the series is very controversial.  I love the installments that people love to hate while the more popular entries are among my least favorite.  Regardless, the series has left it's mark on horror history and I love the sequels that I do.  Sometime back Scream Factory sent over the blu release for the 1995 sequel/reimaging Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation which just happens to be one of my favorite TCM films.  With October here I figured it was time to finally dig into it.
     The film follows a group of high school students on prom night when they find themselves lost on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.  They find themselves in a car accident and forced to walk to the nearest home but soon find themselves hunted down by Vilmer (McConaughey) and his demented family.
     I know many of you dislike this one and I honestly see why it gets the hate it does but I genuinely love it.  I love the atmosphere, the characters, the story (for the most part), and the throw back to the original film.  I'm fully prepared to catch hell over this review but I love what I love and I refuse to change that just to fit in.  This movie really is fun if you just give it a chance.  The acting in this one is uneven but has it's moments.  Renee Zellweger is the low point of the film.  I hate to say that but her performance is very lackluster and several of her scenes lacked conviction.  She is lazily saying her dialogue with no emotion behind it.  With that being said, McConaughey absolutely kills it.  His performance is absolutely insane and his character is one of the most iconic in TCM history.  Honestly, I hold his performance up there with Moseley's as Choptop.  I fucking loved it and every time I watch the film I take away something else from his performance.  The story for this one is extremely confusing and far out there but it you just roll with it you can really enjoy the weirdness that it brings to the series.  Having the family work for a sinister organization is a touch of genius if you ask me and really explains why they have evaded capture for so long.  With that being said, nothing is explained about the new host of characters or why Leatherface suddenly dresses drag.  I loved that was the way they took his character but it just happens with no explanation as to why.  The movie works as a TCM but leaves more questions than answers.  Finally, the film has several kills but just doesn't bring the carnage like some of the other entries.  The on screen deaths we do get are weak while others that take place off screen relies heavily on the viewer's imagination.  These do work but the lack of blood and gore really takes the fun out of them.  Overall, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation is one people love to hate and I completely understand their frustrations with the film.  However, as a movie it's pretty fucking fun.  The gritty look, the insane characters, and the off the wall story really works for me.  The blu release does have some grainy scenes but I honestly liked it.  Most of the movie is clear and great but those grainy scenes from damaged negatives really adds charm to the film.  I really recommend checking this one out this Halloween season and giving it a chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment